It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Axles from a 74-79 Cherokee or Wagoneer

Car-related items wanted by you.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Mad_Science

Axles from a 74-79 Cherokee or Wagoneer

PostSat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am

If you happen to be in the junkyard and see a Wagoneer or Cherokee of this vintage that still has both axles, do please let me know.

Specifically, I need axles from a "narrow track" model; one lacking fender flares. Looks like this:

Not like this:

Front diff will be offset to the passenger side, rear diff will be slightly offset. Will have 6 lug hubs.
"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If like gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."
You may remember me from such posts as...

LeftofLucky

Re: Axles from a 74-79 Cherokee or Wagoneer

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 6:01 am

Will Scout II 44s not work? I know they're five-lug, but I know a guy down here with a stack of them. Literally, a stack of them. Shipping would be a complete hooker, but you never know.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

Mad_Science

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Kinda/sorta, but for it to really be worth it to me, it'd have to be cheap-as-free, plus shipping.

5 Lugs isn't a problem, as my rear is currently 5 lug.

There are 2 problems:
1) Scout axles have the steering yolks set up with 0 degrees caster. Would need to shim or cut/weld.
2) I'd need to get the gearing to match my rear. If there's a 3.31:1 sitting around, then that's a step in the right direction. I'd prefer 3.55 or 3.73, then I'd just re-gear the rear to match. Of course, i could just grab a Scout rear to match the front, gearing-wise.

Both can be addressed by application of time and money, with shipping and everything, that puts the actual sale cost at like $50 each for it to even make sense.
"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If like gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."
You may remember me from such posts as...

Froggmann

PostFri Mar 09, 2012 10:44 am

Are you going to Fabulous Fords this year? If you are I'll keep an eye out around here and grab them when I see them.

fourth_tune

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 am

up.. i need axles for my cherokee too!!

Return to Wanted