It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:37 pm


OK, so here's a problem...

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

udman

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 am

OK, so here's a problem...

PostTue Feb 21, 2012 7:33 am

I have a 2000 Mercury Villager Van (In other words, a Nissan Quest in different clothes) and while the van has been rather reliable I have this very audible rumble coming from the front end. I had both CV joints replaced, and the front tires are new as of a year ago (Bridgestones BTW). I am thinking Front Wheel Bearings. What do you think?

Another problem with the van just started recently. After the engine has warmed up, it won't idle properly. I have replaced simple things like air filter, and the "Check Engine" light is not illuminated. Any ideas? It currently has 90,000 miles.
Offline
User avatar

needthatcar

  • Posts: 32
  • Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 am

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostWed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 am

udman wrote:I have a 2000 Mercury Villager Van (In other words, a Nissan Quest in different clothes) and while the van has been rather reliable I have this very audible rumble coming from the front end. I had both CV joints replaced, and the front tires are new as of a year ago (Bridgestones BTW). I am thinking Front Wheel Bearings. What do you think?

Another problem with the van just started recently. After the engine has warmed up, it won't idle properly. I have replaced simple things like air filter, and the "Check Engine" light is not illuminated. Any ideas? It currently has 90,000 miles.


Wheel bearings, yes. Other than tires and CV joints, there isn't much else. I had a Corolla that did that once. Replaced the bearings, good as new.

Idle problem is likely a partially clogged injector. You could try tune-up items like spark plugs and wires though. Maybe run a can of 44k through it to clean the injectors. 44k is good stuff.
Offline

lilwillie

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 9:10 am

If you can run the vehicle with the wheels off the ground you'll notice the wheel bearing noise. Also, at highway speed on a nice road you can turn slightly left or right and should hear a pitch change to the bearing noise, if it is really getting noisy but not loose.
Offline
User avatar

LTDScott

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:06 am
  • Location: San Diego, CA

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 9:24 am

Yup, bearing.

For the idle, if your van has an idle control valve, it may be clogged. If so, you can often times pull it off, hit it with some carb cleaner, and be good as new.
Resident LTD fanatic and Prickstine mastermind
Offline
User avatar

BAMacPherson

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 am
  • Location: Halifax, NS

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 am

Has anyone had experience with a motorvac or similar service? Someone mentioned getting it done on older FI systems and I've heard it can work wonders.
Image
Offline
User avatar

zsm

  • Posts: 142
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:50 am
  • Location: Chicagoland

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 am

Bam, I've heard the Car Talk guys say, "When it works, it really does work." So I guess it's worth a shot, shop around for a good price I guess.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS
Offline

JeepyJayhawk

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 am

Would anyone consider the "rumbe" a "rhythmic thrum" at speeds over 60 to be the same issue? What is the expected life span of a wheel bearing on a front wheel drive car?
Offline

Power Tryp

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 am

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am

udman wrote:Another problem with the van just started recently. After the engine has warmed up, it won't idle properly. I have replaced simple things like air filter, and the "Check Engine" light is not illuminated. Any ideas? It currently has 90,000 miles.


Won't idle properly? Any more detail on that to help narrow it down?

My thought jumps to your Idle Air Control valve which is perched right ontop of your throttle body. Ford only services it with the TB so I'm not sure if it's integral or not. It could be a clogged or sticky injector or the wireing connector could have gotten loose. Your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system could have a leak which will allow air to bypass the throttle. Seriously it could be a ton of things.

I'm a Ford Partsman, if you need parts blowups let me know and I can email them to you.
Offline

lilwillie

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 am

JeepyJayhawk wrote:Would anyone consider the "rumbe" a "rhythmic thrum" at speeds over 60 to be the same issue? What is the expected life span of a wheel bearing on a front wheel drive car?


Yup, and I've seen them die as soon as 60K (thank you GM) or last well into 200K ( some GM and most press fit designed).

For the Mercury above....402100B000 OE Nissan number/ F3XA1200AA Ford/ FW154 Chicago Rawhide SKF...

The biggest issue is how they are designed. Some have a roller bearing design which are prone to failure much faster. Most of the white box, cheap, bearing assemblies will be like this. The better bearings will be designed with a tapered or pitched bearing that can handle the abuse for a lot longer.

The Village has a press fit design and not a hub that can be unbolted. They normally last a long time before the wheel gets loose.
Offline

Power Tryp

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 am

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 11:35 am

lilwillie wrote:
JeepyJayhawk wrote:Would anyone consider the "rumbe" a "rhythmic thrum" at speeds over 60 to be the same issue? What is the expected life span of a wheel bearing on a front wheel drive car?


Yup, and I've seen them die as soon as 60K (thank you GM) or last well into 200K ( some GM and most press fit designed).

For the Mercury above....402100B000 OE Nissan number/ F3XA1200AA Ford/ FW154 Chicago Rawhide SKF...

The biggest issue is how they are designed. Some have a roller bearing design which are prone to failure much faster. Most of the white box, cheap, bearing assemblies will be like this. The better bearings will be designed with a tapered or pitched bearing that can handle the abuse for a lot longer.

The Village has a press fit design and not a hub that can be unbolted. They normally last a long time before the wheel gets loose.


You are technically correct, The best kind of correct.

Although I do feel the need to inform all that the Ford # you supplied is an ID# which might be stamped into the bearing. The actual part is # F3XZ.3123.A. Why Ford does this I don't know but our system is set up to look up ID#'s... most of the time. Livonia Michigan is the only warehouse that shows that part and I won't dare give my price cause it's Canadian and a lot more expensive.
Offline

Isola

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:10 pm
  • Location: Finland

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

One more vote for the wheel bearing. And to make my first post on the Hooniverse Forum to be at least a bit more than a mere "me too": You can check which side (or both) the bearing is defective. Either, follow lilwillie's advice: if the noise becomes louder when steering right, your left bearing is gone, and vice versa. Or, if the thing has coil springs, jack the car up, turn the wheel slowly by hand, and feel the spring with your fingertips. Any vibration on the spring that can be felt (but cannot be seen!) is a proof of bearing gone bad.
Offline

Alff

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:38 am

Re: OK, so here's a problem...

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Had the same issue emerge on the Subaru just last week, was convinced it was bearings as this is a weakness of early production 2005 Lego GTs. Turns out the lugs on passenger front were working lose. Not suggesting you're as much a numbskull as I am, but you may want to check. If it turns out that's the issue, you don't have to 'fess up.

Return to Help!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron