It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 am

Online dictionary for hoons?

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Isola

Online dictionary for hoons?

PostSat Mar 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Any fellow hoons out there trying to shop for spare parts from the non-English-speaking part of the world? I'm trying to figure out some search terms for car parts in Italian and in German. Is there any online dictionary that includes automotive terms? General technical terminology like bearings, gaskets and such can be looked up in just about any brick-sized dictionary but bodyshell parts and accessories are practically absent.

zsm

Re: Online dictionary for hoons?

PostTue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Isola,

I know a German car guy. He is on brickboards a bit, but I think better to email with him. I sent you a private email message with my email address if you wish to contact him.

Thanks again for all your help with my radio.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Isola

Re: Online dictionary for hoons?

PostFri Mar 23, 2012 10:26 am

Hi zsm,

Thanks, that would be nice but German is actually not that troublesome. A friend of mine speaks German well enough to be taken as native. I can ask her anytime even though she's not that much into cars, and since I speak at least a little German (though not too well) I can at least get started on my own. I just wanted to find out if there's a more general solution available.

Italian is the harder case, mostly because I don't speak a word of Italian. Anyway, I did some research and figured out the words I wanted to know. It's amusing to find out how various parts are called in foreign languages. Minigonna (literally: miniskirt) wasn't exactly my first guess for a rocker panel. Maybe it's officially modanatura sottoporta or something, but as always, most parts are listed for sale with more colloquial names.

Return to Help!