It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:33 am

1997 Civic Overheating

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Stu_Rock

Re: 1997 Civic Overheating

PostFri Apr 20, 2012 5:14 pm

I vote parts store radiator. RockAuto lists options from $48 to $146. Remember to get the AT radiator so you have the internal ATF cooler.

If you'd like to keep the cost down on this project, you could use Peak Global Lifetime antifreeze (NOT Peak LongLife) instead of the fancy-pants Honda stuff. I don't use any of the overpriced Honda fluids in our Civic (I will save my Honda fluid rant for another day).

For cars that seem to prone to developing sub-pinhole leaks, I also recommend using Bars Leaks pellets (the original ginger root, almond shell, and turmeric version) at each coolant service. I follow GM's recommendation for their older engines, which was one tablet per gallon of cooling system capacity. The Bars Leaks package advises using 3-5 times that concentration, which I think is just asking for clogs.

tbrand

PostSat Apr 21, 2012 9:52 pm

I stopped in at Oreilly today, getting a few little necessities, and a lifetime-warranty radiator was $90. I think that will be the route I go - I like the idea of OEM, but on this car, it may not be worth the extra cost.

I'm curious about your Honda fluid rant - is there any reason for them to get $20/gal for it, or is it essentially what you can get from any other store, and the Honda label costs $10?

Thrashy

PostSun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 am

The short version of it is that Honda is selling the same basic coolant as everybody else, prediluting it to a 50/50 premix, and then selling the result for 2-4 times as much as the same amount of 100% antifreeze that you can dilute yourself with a $1.50 jug of distilled water.

Still, for as often as you actually end up replacing the coolant, it may be worth it for peace of mind if you know you've got factory or dealer fill in there already and you want to avoid the mess of differing anti-corrosion chemistries. If you mix up "long-life" antifreeze with regular (or sometimes even with a different type of long-life coolant) the additives can precipitate out and gunk up your coolant system, which is Bad News. A good, thorough coolant flush before refilling the system with the new stuff will also stop that from happening, though.

fourth_tune

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 1:53 pm

the radiator cap could be the leak? I should just replace it.. there are honda people that had cooling issues running a smaller radiator too. Well, hopefully you get your issue fixed..
Last edited by fourth_tune on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbrand

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

For the record, I eventually broke down when I saw the white smoke out the tailpipe, and took it to a shop. A new head gasket and a bit of milling, and everything is much better.
Previous

Return to Help!