It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:04 am

SF Bay Area: Best Junkyards

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

jeep_jeff

SF Bay Area: Best Junkyards

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 6:05 pm

I don't need to go this weekend, but I have a few automotive and non-automotive projects that I could see being helped along by access to a good junkyard.

So, Bay Area Hoons, do we have any decent ones around here?

Mad_Science

Re: SF Bay Area: Best Junkyards

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 pm

I've been to the one in Newark a few times. Some interesting stuff to be had, depending on what you're looking for.
http://g.co/maps/qr8gn

It's dangerously close to my house. "Conveniently close to auto salvage" was shockingly not listed as one of the homes selling points.

My biggest gripe with the place is that it's not paved. Thankfully not dirt, but the rock ground cover (actually nice and clean) makes it hard to roll my little junkyard cart around. Need to get something with inflated tires, it seems.

I'd propose some kind of meet-up, but I've just got too much crap going on right now to be anything but a total flake.

Makes for a great photo shoot, as well:
http://hooniverse.com/2011/10/07/califo ... try-sedan/
"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If like gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."
You may remember me from such posts as...

vwminispeedster

PostSat Feb 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Newark is good and due to distance from my house I always seem to hit up Oakland near the coliseum. The best $2 ever. Plus I like that you can check the inventory online.

jeep_jeff

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks guys.

I'm closer to the Oakland one, but Newark isn't that far. (I just have to make sure I don't have more boxes devoted to car parts than she's got devoted to yarn... Our apartment is kind of small...).

Scandinavian Flick

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Mad_Science wrote:I've been to the one in Newark a few times. Some interesting stuff to be had, depending on what you're looking for.
http://g.co/maps/qr8gn

It's dangerously close to my house. "Conveniently close to auto salvage" was shockingly not listed as one of the homes selling points

I keep coming to the conclusion that you live seriously close to a couple of my friends' house, where I hang out on a nearly weekly basis. If you open that link, the label covers their street...

Anyway, yeah, that's the one I always check first. The other nice convenience is the Harbor Freight right up the street from there, perfect for that one crucial tool you forgot to pack along.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the Volvos are about a half mile from the entrance... :evil: Makes hauling that rare flathood and 2 sets of wheels back in the high heat of a 90 degree day a serious pain in the ass... (True story)

The one in San Jose is crap, in my opinion. They have a terrible inventory, and they fairly recently instituted a policy where they dig through your stuff when you leave.

If you are ever down in the Monterey area, the Moss Landing one is pretty good too.

Mad_Science

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Scandinavian Flick wrote:
If you are ever down in the Monterey area, the Moss Landing one is pretty good too.

Good to know. I keep seeing potential donor vehicles down there, and it'd be a decent excuse to make a weekend trip that involves a beach.

Edit: There are a number of Hooniverse readers/associates/writers in the Bay Area, and even more in the 510. Be sure to get on down (likely up) to Seconds Saturdays at Hanzel's on the 10th.
"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If like gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."
You may remember me from such posts as...

pj134

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Not what comes to mind when I think of Newark. I mean, it doesn't look like a shit hole.

(To our New York(Don't kid yourself thinking your better)/Northern New Jersey Hoons... Sorry, but... you know...)

Return to Help!