It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 1:42 am

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

FordTempoFan

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

PostSun May 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Now as car guys (or gals?) we all have come across the would-be mechanic who gives advice, but you aren't quite sure if he's right or not. So I was told the other day that ethanol-laced gas is not good for older cars. That it will cause extra wear to various parts, particularly carburetors, fuel pumps, fuel lines, and fuel injectors.

In short, does regular gas with Ethanol in it increase engine wear to any measurable degree? I was so frightened my Tempo was getting anything less than the best, I started buying ethanol-free premium. Which is obviously quite pricey. But for Tempo, only the best.
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook
Twitter: @csdempsey

skitter

Re: Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

PostMon May 21, 2012 4:17 am

It's not so much that ehtanol causes engine wear, it's that it tends to eat the gaskets and seals in fuel systems that were designed pre-ethanol. There might be a miniscule increase in engine wear because older cars aren't tuned to burn it efficiently, but the main concerns are with little O-rings and rubber parts.

Return to Help!