It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm

Split Loom Wiring Conduit - overwrap?

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Han_Solex

Split Loom Wiring Conduit - overwrap?

PostTue May 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Hoons and Hooninas,

As the Volvo wiring progresses from OH GOD HOW DID THIS GET HERE I AM NOT GOOD WITH ELECTRIC to "hey, I should start thinking about tidying this stuff up," I've got a few questions. I'm going with a split-loom conduit for a number of reasons, but I want to wrap over it with some sort of protective cover (or at least seal the seam and the ends). Anyone have a good idea for a good wrapping material? The wiring underhood is going to see a fair bit of moisture (I live in Seattle) so keeping moisture out and preventing wire abrasion are the big concerns. Figured someone might have done this before, and wondering what has worked for you.

pj134

Re: Split Loom Wiring Conduit - overwrap?

Han_Solex

PostTue May 22, 2012 2:04 pm

pj134 wrote:... Heat shrink!

Yeah, I know that's what I SHOULD do. But a lot of crap is already wired up. I don't want to cut off all my soldered joints just to slip heatshrink over everything.

pj134

PostTue May 22, 2012 2:52 pm

But... heat shrink... :cry:

Shrink tape?
http://www.shrinktape.com/products/hi-shrink-tape/hi-shrink-tape.aspx
(Never tried it, seems like a natural progression.)

Stu_Rock

PostThu May 24, 2012 5:36 pm

There's usually no need for a complete overwrap for split loom tubing. Unless the tubing is overstuffed, wires won't pop out of it. It's good practice to wrap electrical tape around the ends of the tubing to prevent wire escape, however. The wire insulation is water-resistant, so water intrusion is not usually a concern.

For electrical tape, 3M Super 33+ or Super 88 are good. The 88 is a little thicker and a lot tackier. It's a higher-performance tape, but I usually use 33+ because it's still very good.

Han_Solex

PostFri May 25, 2012 9:53 am

Stu_Rock wrote:There's usually no need for a complete overwrap for split loom tubing.

Thanks for the advice! I think maybe I'll just seal the split in the tubing and the ends with good electrical tape. Appreciate everyone's input.

Return to Help!