It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 1:57 am

Dents and dings, and the best way to get rid of them

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Devin

Dents and dings, and the best way to get rid of them

PostMon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 am

I'm asking this on behalf of my boss. She has a shiny new Hyundai Veloster which she is very proud of, but some jerk dinged her door and now she's both angry, and in need of some dent repair. It's a small parking lot ding, if someone needs a photo I can get one but I imagine there's general advice that applies to all dings. So if it was your door, how would you fix it?

pj134

Re: Dents and dings, and the best way to get rid of them

PostMon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 am

For one ding if I weren't technically minded and didn't want to do it in the future? PDR it for ~ a hundred bucks. If I wanted to learn to do it in the future? Get some PDR tools and a how to for <300.

Scandinavian Flick

PostMon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 am

Depends on the dent, but I have heard mixed results using the dry ice method. At least it never seems to do any harm, so it's worth a try. Just make sure the metal gets good and warm in the sun or using a hairdryer, then apply dry ice. The quick expanding and contracting can pop it out without damaging the paint. There are some videos demonstrating this on the Tube, but I can't search that at work...

We tried the hot glue and a stick method on a large dent on my friend's Miata... Don't do that...

nj_hoon

PostSun Jun 17, 2012 6:32 am

I took the Mrs car to a paintless dent removal place before the lease ran out, they did a great job. The cost was 250 to remove volley ball size dent on the fender that had a crease and went over a body line. I used to work a body shop and was happy with the work, FWIW.

Return to Help!