It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 am

'94 850 from Hell won't crank

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

FuzzyPlushroom

'94 850 from Hell won't crank

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 3:47 pm

So... my Volvo 855 won't start. ('94, manual, non-turbo.) I went to start it one day - this is a couple of months ago, now - forgot to put the clutch in, and the car just rocked forward and stalled. Okay, fine. Assumed it had an interlock, put the clutch in... and no crank. Fuel pump hums, nothing from the engine bay. This car has no clutch interlock after all, according to the entire internet.

Interior lights work. Radio works - well, it did, then the battery got drained and I pulled out the 745's; now it wants its code and I don't care. Still a good battery. In other words, everything acts normal, but it won't crank.

Tried shorting the starter solenoid. No dice. Again, I've tried a second battery and a jump start - doesn't matter. Tried tapping the starter, but it's difficult to aim at through the intake, so really I'm more hitting the solenoid and hoping the starter gets the message.

So, did I somehow completely destroy the starter by letting the car roll forward on it, or is there some other coincidental mechanical issue? I'm'a ask some Volvo-specific folks elsewhere, too, but I figured I'd post on FB to let the Hoons have their say.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Here's the beast in its present location and typical maintenance position:

- Sam
('96 NG900)

tbrand

Re: '94 850 from Hell won't crank

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 11:20 pm

I can't imagine that rocking it on the starter would've hurt it - I had to drive my Jeep home 20 miles sans clutch once. I had to use the starter to get moving at all stoplights.

You've tried jumping the starter straight to the battery?

FuzzyPlushroom

PostFri Jul 12, 2013 5:03 pm

For some reason I totally forgot I started this thread.

So it turned out to be that the starter ground wire corroded through. I replaced it with a piece of wire, and it worked just fine (at which point a brake caliper failed and I traded the car away).
- Sam
('96 NG900)

jibduh

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 am

Ah! necrobump (closure is always good.) interesting that it would have finally broken after that misstart, maybe the huge current dump burned it through...
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Return to Help!