It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 am

What is rattling in my car?

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Devin

What is rattling in my car?

PostThu Jul 12, 2012 2:33 pm

My car has developed an annoying rattle since yesterday, when the streets flooded and I had to drive through all the water (quickly and irresponsibly, admittedly. Big waves!). It is there on startup, sporadically as I drive around, and then when I turn things off. Visual inspection doesn't reveal anything obvious. It's a '10 Matrix with a 2AZ-FE engine. I don't have a clue what I'm looking for, so I go to other people for ideas.

FrankTheCat

Re: What is rattling in my car?

PostThu Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

When does it rattle? All the time? While under acceleration? When you brake? When a butterfly flaps its wings in China?

Devin

PostThu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

I thiiink I mentioned it but it's hot and I'm stupid when it's hot so maybe I didn't. When I start it, sometimes when I drive over bumpy things, and when I turn it off. I think I knocked something loose - that's the most sensible explanation - but damned if I can spot what the hell it is. It's kind of a case of what normally falls off these things, and where can I find it.

Basically I am asking people to be psychic and I can admit that.

EDIT: It also rattles when I shut the door hard, but I STILL can't spot the bloody thing. People in the work parking lot must have thought I was crazy, as I sat on the ground repeatedly slamming my door trying to spot something that was making a stupid noise. I'm beginning to suspect a bit of heat shielding that looks loose, but I haven't been able to actually spot the culprit.

As a result, this thread is as much about my personal frustration as it is actually asking for help.

Froggmann

PostFri Jul 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Broken heat shield on the cat?

fourth_tune

PostSat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 am

i would guess at something like a loose engine mounting or even the ball joints going. It may also be that wrong oil for the engine and automatic transmission was used thats why the engine blew.

Return to Help!