It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:01 am

Low-back seat reupholserty?

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Han_Solex

Low-back seat reupholserty?

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 8:35 am

Anyone had a shop redo a seat? What's a ballpark for reupholstering in terms of labor, not materials? Never done it before so wanted to get a ballpark, because I'd have no idea if a shop was going to rip me off.

The Volvo's low-back vinyl is pretty torn up on the seat base, and I also wanted to go with a firmer seat foam. Thanks.

LeftofLucky

Re: Low-back seat reupholserty?

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

I had the seats on the Spitfire recovered by a half-blind old guy. Finished product looked better than I expected, but I paid around $300 for the pair.

In hindsight, I should have simply asked around town and found the best place in the area to have the work done. Whether you realize it or not, the seats are the first thing your eye lands on when you look at a vehicle's interior, and if anything's off about them, it makes the rest of the car look like crap.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

zsm

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm

I am putting in some carpeting in mine soon and have to take the seats out and just had two conversations with a friend about similar. My passenger seat is pretty worn out. So my friend had the upper seat backs rewebbed and had head rest tubes installed. That was at $80/hr and took 4 hours for the labor. You can get new covers at VP and webbing at IPD, maybe even padding there. I think I am just going to change the webbing myself now. Good luck!
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Han_Solex

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 pm

zsm wrote:You can get new covers at VP and webbing at IPD, maybe even padding there. I think I am just going to change the webbing myself now. Good luck!

The funny thing is the webbing is apparently new, but nobody told the seat foam or the vinyl covers ... both of those look like a hotel room after Led Zepplin got back from an epic set. What I'd love would be to get new foam, preferably something a little firmer than the hostel cot sponginess going on there already, and a new vinyl cover made up. I'm probably just going to do the driver's side. Hell, the passengers are lucky they aren't riding on a milk crate ... or walking. Amiright?

Well, anyways, that's a good starting place in terms of pricing. Thanks for the input.

LeftofLucky

PostThu May 17, 2012 7:18 am

I know this thread is older than snot, but I just picked up the seat for the '78 IH. I called around, and the best price I could find for new covers was around $280 plus shipping. A friend of mine pointed me to a local upholstery shop, so we stopped by. Not only did the guy drop in new foam and work up the covers, he actually had the same stock hideous green vinyl.

I was out the door for $301.82, even with our ludicrous $9.7 percent sales tax.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

Han_Solex

PostTue May 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Not bad! Especially when you consider the foam work. I would love to have my stock seats redone with proper foam, but then again, there are newer Volvo seats with proper headrests that bolt right in ... and also, for that kind of money, I could get something like a Corbeau classic (http://www.corbeau.com/products/fixed_b ... ic_bucket/) or similar bucket. The car's already diverged from stock so I'm not married to keeping the original seats.

Well, for now it's sort of a non-issue - might just throw down some tape or a cheapo seat cover for the time being. But I like thinking about this stuff.

Return to Help!