It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:58 am

Sticky, Nasty Junk

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Marcal

Sticky, Nasty Junk

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 4:50 pm

I've been trying to get my truck clean for a few months now. Why a few months? Well, I parked under a tree one night, and I woke up to yellow, sticky, nasty stuff all over the hood and fenders, along with what looked seed pod castings. Long story short, soap won't get the stuff out, and bug/tar remover hasn't been very effective (or maybe I need to let it soak for a while).

Anyone have a good technique for getting this stuff cleaned off? I'm going to try a plastic scraper of some kind; rubbing alcohol and an old rag; and maybe a clay bar.
"A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all."

P161911

Re: Sticky, Nasty Junk

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 am

Not all bug and tar removers are created equal. Might want to try a couple of different kinds.

jeep_jeff

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I've used wd-40 to get pine sap out of upholstery, and google thinks it's safe for paint. You may also want to try alcohol (a good, cheap source for ethanol as a solvent: witch hazel, otherwise denatured alcohol is what you're looking for). I'm seeing some indication that food/cooking oils (bacon fat, mayonnaise, olive oil) might work. All of this sounds plausible.

Hot solvents work better than cold (hot is relative, lots of heat could damage your paint). I just checked the weather for Everett, looks like Western Washington is actually warmer than the Bay Area this week. High 70s should be good enough. If you can get it to warm up in the sunshine, even better.

Time is your friend. If you can get a way to let it sit and work for a while, it will work better. This is why bacon fat and mayonnaise get suggested: they're a paste, rub 'em on and let 'em sit for a while. This should work with all the options (but I would be quick with the WD-40 and alcohol, they're probably the most dangerous to your paint and wax).

Try a bunch of stuff. Maybe, as P161911 suggested, one of the other bug and tar removers is better for the stuff on your hood. Maybe a common household solvent will do the job.

Isola

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 4:43 am

This seems to be an old topic but as the forums are not exactly flooded with messages, I'll give my tip, too.

I learned the hard way that the sap from poplars is really sticky. It would probably make an excellent glue. Anyway, I finally discovered that undiluted windscreen washer fluid was the right stuff. You may need to let it soak for some time, but eventually it will work. The downside is that it will almost certainly remove the wax. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it could damage the paintwork, too, if let to be in contact with it for too long. It's essential to wash the car well immediately after the treatment.

Dean Bigglesworth

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 11:29 am

Not surprising that the blue-tinted nectar of the pissapoika works... It's mostly alcohol, anyway. Which reminds me, time to order a taxi.

Marcal

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Shame on me for leaving this thread unanswered for so long.

I spent an entire day (VERY) carefully removing the sticky stuff from my hood and tops of the fenders with a small blade. It seemed to work fine, although the clearcoat is definitely stained now. I have read all of your suggestions and will let you know which one works. As big as the hood is, maybe I'll tape a grid on it and do an experiment with each one.
"A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all."

jibduh

PostMon Apr 29, 2013 7:31 am

Ooh! An experiment! Add Trisodium Phosphate (a detergent) to a grid square, and cooking oil to another (I use it as an onhand goo/adhesive sticker remover since it seems to work better than the googone in a spray bottle)!
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Dan

PostTue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 am

Do you think a clay bar would get rid of it?

Dean Bigglesworth

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 3:51 pm

You!
I wanna take you to a clay bar,
I wanna take you to a clay bar,
I wanna take you to a clay bar, clay bar, clay bar....

thanes1

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 3:28 am

I rely on Wd-40 for any of those harder jobs...

thanes1

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 3:28 am

Just realized the age of this thread, guess my input is too little too late

daciaa6

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 2:38 am

Return to Help!