It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Hourmeter - where to wire it in?

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Tanshanomi

Hourmeter - where to wire it in?

PostMon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 pm

The Town Cow's odometer and tripmeter both shot craps and are perpetually stuck on 121,100 & 0000, respectively. Instead of replacing them, I'm thinking of installing a $30 hourmeter under the hood. The question I have is, where's the most logical place to tap the hot lead into the electrical system to get 12V only while the key is on?
2011 Kizashi GTS Sport — 2002 Ford F150 Supercrew — 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring
2013 Cam-Am Spyder RS-S — 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT — 1974 Honda CL125 — "Bultakenstein", a pile of worn out motorcycle parts I'm calling a project bike

Dean Bigglesworth

Re: Hourmeter - where to wire it in?

PostWed Dec 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Here, i made you this diagram. I call it the SuperEezy Diagram 6000!

Pretty sure you know how to connect it and just want to know where to connect the positive lead, a relay is probably unnecessary since the hourmeter won't draw much current, but i made this anyway. :mrgreen:

You might be able to squeeze the relay wire into the cabin via an existing grommet, otherwise you need to connect it to something in the engine bay that only gets power when the ignition is on. Get out a voltmeter and check the fuse box for a suitable point.

pj134

Re: Hourmeter - where to wire it in?

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 am

Please install wiring nuts where ever possible. Clearly the best way to ensure proper electrical connection and weatherproofness.

Return to Help!