It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 pm

95 Cavalier 2.2 OHV clutch replacement/ general upgrades

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

357SIG

95 Cavalier 2.2 OHV clutch replacement/ general upgrades

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Hello fellow hoons, pretty new to posting here but I figured this might be the best place to ask.
I have a 1995 Cavalier 2.2 5 speed, I'm not the most technically proficient but I'm a quick learner.
I'm also very stubborn, hands on and (rightly) stingy when it comes to these things.
I need to replace the clutch in my cavalier, amongst other things, but right now the most important thing is my clutch.

A little unnecessary backstory, this car was rebuilt from salvage and surprisingly has a very sweet or at least well maintaned GM 122 in it (as far as I know, I'm pretty sure it's a 122) runs smoothly, never given me issues (even when it had 180k on the odo, has 185 now) When I joined the Army, my mother sold it behind my back (title was in both our names at the time) I was pretty furious. I recently had the pleasure of being reunited with my first car, despite any cavalier hate I might receive for this, I enjoy it, I can corner pretty damn well in it with the rubber I have on it right now and it gets me to 60 as fast as I need it to to put a smile on my face. Only real modification to it is a pacesetter exhaust system, complete with manifold all the way down to a glass pack muffler, or at least something pretty close to straight pipe that replaced the pacesetter muffler (I didn't do this)

The previous user/owner/whatever came from a supra, which he blew the engine in. He's pretty heavy handed and abused my clutch, I'm leaking clutch(brake) fluid from the throwout bearing and I need to replace it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the haynes manual I have on this thing is next to useless, they tried to cover all the engine options in the book and in doing so, never covered any of them well. I can't find anything relating to clutch service in there.

What I do know is, I will most likely need to drop my transmission and pull the driveshafts to do this, does anyone know more about this procedure in a cavalier of this generation and what I'll need to do as well as what I should order as far as a clutch kit? I would like to upgrade whatever I replace, so preferably non OEM unless OEM is the best solution.

zsm

Re: 95 Cavalier 2.2 OHV clutch replacement/ general upgrades

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 am

If it's leaking brake fluid it's likely the slave cylinder and not the throw-out bearing or clutch fork. You should not have to remove gearbox for this unless there is something odd about the setup in this car. Look for a cylinder near the bottom side with a rod coming out. There will be a piston inside. You want to remove that. You can buy a rebuild kit with all the rubber bits to replace. Be careful to not score anything on the inside when you take it apart. Likely your slave cylinder will be gouged and rusted. Buy the smallest cylinder hone you can (like those sized for brake cylinders) and using liberal brake fluid hone as needed the inside with an electric drill until nice and smooth. It's okay if you can't clean-up all the rust at the very end, the piston does not travel that far.

Likely you will see that the fluid is all black, in that case I would recommend to rebuild the master (should be on your firewall) and replace any rubber hoses in the setup. When you have the cylinders and all rubber bits out of the picture, clean the reservoir and all hard lines really well. You can use brake cleaner, just be sure to flush once with brake fluid you will not use after it dries just in case. If you have trouble to find a rubber line that fits, a hydraulic service place can put the old fittings on a new line. Once you have it out, you'll likely learn that the threads match some common brake line though, so you can do that too if yo have a nice old fashioned parts place that will let you rummage around or d that for you.

Good luck and dude, you have no idea how happy it makes me that you would think this is the best place to come for help with your cavalier, right-on!
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

seat safety switch

PostSat Jan 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Unfortunately, unless this is a different gearbox from the '01 2.2 Cavalier, the slave cylinder is sitting inside the bellhousing which mandates transmission removal.

zsm

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 6:06 am

Dang blast it!
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

357SIG

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 5:21 pm

I believe everything is inside the housing, as simple as that 2.2 is, working with it can be a PITA. Thanks for the advice, unfortunately my situation leaves me without much storage space for proper tools. I've got to rely on the Auto Skills center around here, which has all the tools I need but it's going to take some time. Seems like I'm just going to have to look into a good clutch kit. I've been researching as much as I can. Surprisingly (a bit sarcastic there) there's not too much of a performance market for the older 2.2. It seems to me as I'm going to have to drop the transmission anyways I might as well upgrade, I'm just not sure what to go for parts wise, clutch, flywheel if needed. The clutch will most likely not be in good shape, I'm definitely not a perfect driver but it suffered some abuse for a year before I got it back.

357SIG

PostFri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 am

Quick update for anyone following, I just ordered a new throttle body (spring in mine snapped and caused me to accelerate wildly and burn some clutch to park it, it was lovely) Exedy OEM clutch kit, Sachs master cylinder and a new OEM flywheel, wish me luck. Only downside, I'll be stuck doing 45(mph) or less everywhere for about 500 miles, lest I glaze my brand new clutch. Good thing a transmission stand and a lift will be available.

zsm

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Does the kit come with a new slave too? Or with the rubber bits to rebuild it? Didn't you have a leak from there initially?

357SIG

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 am

It came with a new slave as well. I apologize for the long delay between posts. I need to find the time to actually install this, I have a workshop available to me, now the army needs to give me the time to use it. I spent 30 days down in Louisiana for a JRTC rotation and now that I'm back I've been handling gunnery training with my pilots. I think the leak has been slowly developing. The car has just hit 186k miles. I'd guess the clutch isn't 100% original but close, probably 100k+ miles on it. It's been rebuilt from salvage a couple times. When I get the time I'm hoping to get that clutch in. Thanks for all the support everyone and I'll let you know how it goes. In the mean time I'm looking for a second car just in case I need to leave mine at the shop between wrench sessions. :?

Return to Help!