It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:37 pm

LTL Shipping?

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Han_Solex

LTL Shipping?

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Anyone know anything about LTL shipping? Trying to get a handle on it, to see if it's worth it to ship up a transmission and driveshaft from Santa Cruz to Seattle. Or if there's another service, maybe not a freight broker, that I should look into. Thanks!

Thrashy

Re: LTL Shipping?

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 pm

I don't know much about LTL freight, but I know some folks have had luck shipping via Greyhound for stuff that would otherwise need a truck. Another guy swears by the Sandbox Express (people on roadraceautox.com who literally just relay things cross-country, handing them off when they meet up at races) but that takes a bit more trust than I've got.

zsm

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 am

Is this for the Amazon? Is something wrong with yours? It may be easier to repair. A driveline place can make a new propshaft as well. It's hard for me to believe that there is not one closer. When I lost reverse in mine I asked around and found a guy who had an M40 from a PV who lived about two hours away. Volvo guys tend to be hoarders. It turned-out that he had stashed it at his daughter's crawl space IN THE NEXT TOWN OVER from where I live. Since he had another spare stashed away even closer to him, he sold it to me. With yours I bet there must be somebody that did an M40 to M41 conversion nearby and then kept the M40 and longer propshafts. Get to know some Volvo people nearby. Maybe call IPD to learn what are some clubs and meetups nearby? You live near IPD right? Maybe ask on the forums? Good luck.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Han_Solex

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Yeah, now that I've thought about it I'm just going to wait for parts to show up locally. There's not really a rush, and blowing money on shipping seems silly.

Alff

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Dude, aren't the sidewalks of Ballard littered with cast off Volvo trannies?

Han_Solex

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Alff wrote:Dude, aren't the sidewalks of Ballard littered with cast off Volvo trannies?

LOL. Totally true. Only reason I was considering it is that I have a free M40 in unknown condition waiting for me in Oakland. I figured that might be enough to make it worthwhile, but I realize now that if I just poke around more up here I'll find all the bits I need.

I'm just completely impatient.

P161911

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 pm

If you can have something shipped to a place with a freight dock that will cut the price by half or more. I had an engine shipped about 300 miles and it was less than $200. Fortunately I work at a place with a loading dock. The guys in the warehouse unloaded it off the truck for me and then drove it out to the parking lot and put the pallet in the back of my pick-up with the forklift. I unloaded it with an engine hoist.

Shipping to your home can add $$$. The truck has to have a lift and the driver has to unload it.

dwegmull

PostFri Mar 16, 2012 9:29 am

P161911 wrote:Shipping to your home can add $$$. The truck has to have a lift and the driver has to unload it.

I can confirm: when I bought my lathe (~500LBs shipping weight), I had to pay an extra $50 to get a truck with a lift gate to deliver to my house.
The fun part was when the driver insisted on pushing his pallet jack onto my gravel driveway! He went about one foot before the jack's small wheels dug in and stopped. We then transferred the crate from the palette to my hand truck (with big wheels) and pulled it down the driveway...

NoKetchup

PostWed May 16, 2012 9:02 pm

the fees are where you really need to look. residential pickup/delivery, inside pickup/delivery, loading docks. Also if you have an account with LTL carriers, the charges are typically like 85% off book rates....

as said earlier, greyhound is a fantastic choice and is very reasonable.

Return to Help!