It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:23 am

Improving Steering Angle

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Dan

Improving Steering Angle

PostTue May 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Hey all,

I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier, extended cab, 2WD, 4 cylinder, manual transmission truck that I bought about a year and a half ago. My only real complaint with it is its turning circle, which is 43.4 feet. Not only is this inconveniencing, but I also think it could potentially be dangerous. I often drive in snowy and icy conditions, and it would be nice to have a little bit more steering angle to correct from slides. I know a lot of guys that go drifting will often cut and weld or cut and re-drill their steering knuckles to get more steering angle. I think this could be safely and effectively done, with some considerations such as; the strength of the weld/hole, wheel backspacing (I wouldn't want the tires to rub on anything), as well as trying to maintain the appropriate Ackerman angle.

What does everyone else think about this? Feasible? Good idea? Bad idea? Your input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

skitter

Re: Improving Steering Angle

PostWed May 08, 2013 6:49 am

I'm pretty obsessed with Ackermann and how it pertains to handling, so I can tell you that it will take far more engineering than a drifter who is not concerned about
1. warranty destruction
2. tire destruction
3. parking lot behavior
and who is concerned about
4. intentional BIG slides
So think first about whether you have actually ever hit full lock countersteering before you consider all of the following simultaneously:
5. How your toe setting will affect both your initial turn in and countersteering [12]
6. How the angle of the knuckle changes in the two-dimensional sweep from full lock to full lock and from full droop to full bump
7. How the angle of the steering arm changes in the same two dimensional sweep
8. How the angle and position of the extreme limits of the tire change throughout the same sweep
9. How changes to the steering rack throw and would affect 6-10
10. How changes to the steering rack position would affect 6-11
11. Thankfully, you've left the kingpin alone, so aside from any additional angle, you shouldn't have to worry too much about scrub and steering effort and bump steer
[12] WITHIN YOUR FACTORY RECOMMENDED SETTINGS: (GENERALLY) Toe-in will increase stability and understeer, while toe out will increase turn-in response and improve behavior on corrective lock. [13]
[13]Choose your poison.

Return to Help!