It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 pm

need to cut some sluts.. er i mean slots

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

jeep_jeff

Re: need to cut some sluts.. er i mean slots

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 1:31 pm

jeremy! wrote:
jeep_jeff wrote:How wide are the slots? You might be able to drill the ends out, use a cut-off disc to rough out the slot and finish it with a grinding disc and a file. Personally, for 4-5mm aluminum, I'd drill the ends and use a plasma cutter with a plywood straight-edge.

dono yet. but they have to be the size of the screw that goes into the fog light. id say no bigger than 5mm.

That sounds like Dremel territory to me. I haven't found a Dremel grinding stone that doesn't foul on aluminum though (it's a gooey metal when you're grinding and filing it, one of its two big downsides).

And the plasma cutter suggestion was more than a bit tongue-in-cheek (even if they are awesome)...

danleym

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Get a dremel. You won't regret it, and it will come in handy on a lot more than just this, and they're really not too pricey. Mine has seen a lot of use. And I'm in the "drill two holes, cut off disc for the lines in between, then grind the edges with a grinding bit to smooth them out" crowd. Cheapest, easiest way I can see to do it.

Alff

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Why use aluminum stock when used license plates are so cheap and easy to work with? With a tip o' the hat to Mr. Xibit, I made a front license plate bracket out of two old license plates for my Jeep. Served me well for years, even though the guys at the dealership laughed at me.

jeremy!

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 2:50 pm

fog lights, not license plate. i already zip tied that on...

zsm

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Whoa... that license plate bracket made from license plates blows my mind Alff! Very clever!
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

JeepyJayhawk

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 am

I'd suggest drilling the endpoints and then using a jigsaw with a good metal blade to cut just inside the line you want. Then use a good metal file to clean and perfect any wander or errors you may have.

Secure the bracket to something heavy and take your time.

My 2 cents, and we must have pics.

JeepyJayhawk

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 11:45 am

jeep_jeff wrote:How wide are the slots? You might be able to drill the ends out, use a cut-off disc to rough out the slot and finish it with a grinding disc and a file. Personally, for 4-5mm aluminum, I'd drill the ends and use a plasma cutter with a plywood straight-edge.

An excellent plan if you have a plasma torch.

jeremy!

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 11:47 am

dremel on its way, and pictures will be had.

zsm

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Sweet Jeremy. My heart is warmed that you chose to go this route to get a new great tool instead of the simpler but less fun route of checking-out the McMaster-Carr website for a few brackets.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

jeremy!

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 pm

oy, this whole flex shaft is well worth the price of admission! will start cutting tomorrow. tonight, beer!

failboat

PostSat Mar 03, 2012 5:34 am

Dremels are awesome, good choice.

Nice miata too. I'm always debating whether I should get an NC as a daily in a few years or just keep the accent and get another NA

Thrashy

PostSat Mar 03, 2012 5:15 pm

failboat wrote:Nice miata too. I'm always debating whether I should get an NC as a daily in a few years or just keep the accent and get another NA

Having only driven an NC, I can't speak to the dynamic qualities of Option B, but I will say that the interior on the NC feels a little classier IMO. There's also the rust aspect; I've yet to see a daily-driven NA or NB that wasn't slowly disintegrating, or showing evidence of extensive rust repair along the rockers.
PreviousNext

Return to Help!