It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 4:34 pm

The Old Truck

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Marcal

The Old Truck

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Lately, my truck has been a little difficult to turn at slow speeds, and make a sort of groaning/whining sound. I think it's low on power steering fluid, but I won't know until I get under there on Saturday and take a look. It's also time to check the oil, since it's been 3,000 miles. In fact, the tires need rotating, too. Wish I had a floor jack. Might have to go to a shop for that.

I guess this is not so much a call for help, but a warning that I'll probably be back Monday complaining that I couldn't get rid of the noise.

Speaking of noise, when I put a new alternator on it back in May or whenever it was, I put a new belt on it, since I had the old one off anyway. Ever since, I hear a constant squeak under the hood. I know the belt is the right size, but it seems like one of the pulleys is squeaking. Should I just put some grease on them, one at a time, and see if that fixes it?
"A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all."

FrankTheCat

Re: The Old Truck

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 4:24 pm

difficult steering + groaning/whining power steering pump is definitely low fluid (or maybe a failing pump.) top it up with fresh power steering fluid.

try using CFC belt conditioner on the belt to get rid of the squeak, if the idler pulleys all spin fine without any bearing crunch/noise.

Marcal

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Appreciate it. The pulleys didn't make a sound before the new belt went on, so I was a little confused about that. Regardless, I'll get some of that conditioner and see what happens.

Marcal

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Well, the belt conditioner didn't do much, so I suspect a pulley needs some attention.

Also, I'm going to clean the MAF sensor to correct some slight pinging. If anyone has experience doing that an older F-150, I'd be grateful for the advice. I'm also hopeful that it will help with the engine revving between shifts occasionally.

Finally, I might change the oil. It's not really dirty, but it's been a little over 3,000 miles, and I want this thing to last me a long time. Going to spike it with some Motor Honey.

Return to Help!