It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Help buying a vehicle in the US

"I'm trying to ____" and I can't ____"
Please use descriptive titles so people know what you're whining about. Knowitallism strongly discouraged

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, Graverobber

• Author

Serin

Help buying a vehicle in the US

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 2:34 am

Ready for daft sounding questions?? Okay!

So I'm from New Zealand, and my dad has bought some property in Florida, and wants me to visit him early next year for a holiday (also known as helping him work on the fix-er up-er house he bought :roll: )

So I'm looking at buying a car so that I can travel around and visit places as there doesnt appear to be a heck of a lot near to the place he has bought in Titusville.

The problem is that apart from having a few car brochures from when I visited Disneyland YEARS ago, I don't really know what to looking at buying. I need something reliable, cheap (sub 2000) and hopefully AMERICAN!! Probably needs to be useful too as I assume it will be pressed into a fair few trips to the hardware store. :) I had been looking at vehicles like Ford Rangers, or Blazers but thats only due to recognising them :lol:

So what are my chances of getting something like that? Craigslist seems to be all over the place. There are wrecks that are overpriced, but then cars that are nice yet cheap :? Any help would be good, as its been hard enough getting my head around the whole process of registering the car let alone buying it!! :D

FrankTheCat

Re: Help buying a vehicle in the US

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Get a Miata :lol:

skitter

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Miata is good advice.

Anything at or below $2000 is going to be something to check carefully. A car is worth +/-$500 in scrap in the US. There is no inspection or emissions in Florida, so basically I'd just find an ugly but reliable pickup. Mazdas, again, tend to get overlooked there, but you can get as American as you want, in any vintage from '80s onward, as long as it's used up enough to get to your budget.

Marcal

PostMon Aug 04, 2014 9:21 pm

$2000 - check.
American - check.
Local - check.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/4592086503.html
"A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all."

Return to Help!