It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 pm

My family of fine cars.

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

FordTempoFan

My family of fine cars.

PostMon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 am

Hello, friends. I finally figured I'd see what this forum is all about, and I'll start with a brief introduction of my current cars.

1989 Ford Tempo AWD Sedan in Graphite Metallic with 123,097 miles on the original 2.3L High Specific Output I4 and 3-speed ATX. Fully loaded with every option except air conditioning, and its been in my family since 1993. I have all the documentation from the warranty booklet, sales brochure, and right down to both sales receipts from when it was sold in '89 and '93. I acquired it in 2006 on the basis that if I could get it running and off my grandparent's homestead, I could have it. 50,000+ miles and 6 years later its still my daily driver.

A few summers ago I realized my life would be made infinitely easier if I had a truck. My Tempo's suspension would be saved from Alaska's harsh roads in the spring and winter. So I bought a 1990 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat 4x4 for $4,000. It's original multi-port fuel injected 351 Windsor promptly seized at 137,000 miles. So I sprung for an ATK Stage 1 5.8L V8 crate motor. This combined with a K&N cylindrical style intake and a Flowmaster Hushpower II exhaust routed out the side makes for a pretty mean boat hauler. I've installed a few other goodies including Pioneer 6x5 door speakers, 6x9 box mounted rear speakers, and a Pioneer deck with seamless iPod integration and wireless Blutooth connectivity. Eat my dust, F-150 Platinum. This old Lariat has many years of viability left.

I was content with my truck and Tempo for awhile. Until a fellow classmate of mine bought a 1990 Tempo GL in Oxford White from a local junk yard. I had eyed this very Tempo for quite awhile. It had been for sale for six years with a price tag of $800. Its an ex-rental car with an odd assortment of options. Power locks but crank windows, A/C, the Sport Gauge Cluster, and the Convenience Light Group. Well it took a dump on this guy a couple months down the line and sat in the school parking lot until the principle started daily announcements counting down until it was going to get towed. I offered up $100 plus a $40 tow. A transmission fluid flush and filter change later, and its running as good as new.
It has 167,000 miles on a tired but original 2.3L HSC I4 and 3spd.

Finally just this last winter I bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 off my brother for $4,000. It has 170,000 miles on a rebuilt PowerTech I6 and 4spd. I haven't gotten to drive it much as I'm in school and its in storage along with my truck. Its definitely a blast though. Very refined, well equipped, and dynamite in the snow. It has been in a rear-end collision and it shows. A lot of its trim is quite loose, and all of its doors are somewhat off. Nonetheless it has power everything and a neat information center, and lots of cool green mood lighting.
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook
Twitter: @csdempsey

Maxichamp

Re: My family of fine cars.

PostMon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

That Tempo is in incredible condition, especially given that it's in Alaska. I have fond memories of the Tempo. Our high school's driver's ed car was a Tempo. Our Saturday routine was to drive it from school to John Wayne's estate in Newport Beach. It fit the instructor and 3 students comfortably!

zsm

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 am

When you hit 123,321 and 123,456 miles you should pull over and take a photo.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

FordTempoFan

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 am

zsm wrote:When you hit 123,321 and 123,456 miles you should pull over and take a photo.

All my Fords don't have six digit odometers. :( They've all spun over at least once.
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook

LeftofLucky

PostWed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 am

FordTempoFan wrote:
zsm wrote:When you hit 123,321 and 123,456 miles you should pull over and take a photo.

All my Fords don't have six digit odometers. :( They've all spun over at least once.

There's a certain level of pessimism in that design, isn't there? The Horse only has five digits as well. It's difficult to know exactly how many times that sucker has rolled over. I'm guessing it's just once. Or maybe that's hoping...
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

FordTempoFan

PostWed Mar 14, 2012 5:18 am

LeftofLucky wrote:
FordTempoFan wrote:

There's a certain level of pessimism in that design, isn't there? The Horse only has five digits as well. It's difficult to know exactly how many times that sucker has rolled over. I'm guessing it's just once. Or maybe that's hoping...

It is kind of insulting. Did they really not think they'd need that extra digit?
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook

zsm

PostWed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 am

It is pessimistic, my Volvo - the one with a very unstressed B18, five main bearings, three piston rings per piston, oil filter with check valve, basically a less stressed version of the engine in the P1800 world record holder mileage car only has five digits as well. Might have rolled three times now, who knows.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Thrashy

PostThu Mar 15, 2012 8:02 pm

zsm wrote:It is pessimistic, my Volvo - the one with a very unstressed B18, five main bearings, three piston rings per piston, oil filter with check valve, basically a less stressed version of the engine in the P1800 world record holder mileage car only has five digits as well. Might have rolled three times now, who knows.

There's a subtle difference there. In the Ford's case, the reasoning was "it won't matter," and in the Volvo's, it probably was "it doesn't matter." ;)

FTF finally made it! You have to guess Tempo for all Mystery Car posts, just to offset muthalovin's NSXes.

FordTempoFan

PostThu Mar 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Thrashy wrote:
zsm wrote:It is pessimistic, my Volvo - the one with a very unstressed B18, five main bearings, three piston rings per piston, oil filter with check valve, basically a less stressed version of the engine in the P1800 world record holder mileage car only has five digits as well. Might have rolled three times now, who knows.

There's a subtle difference there. In the Ford's case, the reasoning was "it won't matter," and in the Volvo's, it probably was "it doesn't matter." ;)

FTF finally made it! You have to guess Tempo for all Mystery Car posts, just to offset muthalovin's NSXes.

The worst part about the five digit odometer? When a Tempo shows up on Craigslist saying "ultra low miles!" when you know, you know..

Also I figure I should just say it. I visit Hooniverse more often than Jalopnik now. Keep up the good work!
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook

oldcarjunkie

PostFri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Some fine Tempos there.

I learned to drive stick on my parents Tempo L. A little tricky as the clutch was very well worn at that point.

I bought '88 2dr years later for $50. 5spd again. Fixed it up a bit but never did drive it much. The 4cyl/5spd isn't a bad combo I thought - nice torquey motor for around town driving. Never have driven automatic one to compare.

FordTempoFan

PostSun Mar 18, 2012 4:09 am

oldcarjunkie wrote:Some fine Tempos there.

I learned to drive stick on my parents Tempo L. A little tricky as the clutch was very well worn at that point.

I bought '88 2dr years later for $50. 5spd again. Fixed it up a bit but never did drive it much. The 4cyl/5spd isn't a bad combo I thought - nice torquey motor for around town driving. Never have driven automatic one to compare.

I've always wanted a 5psd. Unfortunately you couldn't get AWD with anything but the 3spd. automatic. For an automatic, its a great transmission. The gears are spread pretty wide apart, but its damn near indestructible. Its the only automatic my family that my family has ever owned that hasn't had any mechanical flaws.
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook

Return to Show and Tell