It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:04 pm

What's Happening in Feds' Garage

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Feds

What's Happening in Feds' Garage

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Well, here it is: One big long thread attempting to capture the various goings on inside my 2 car rural-suburban garage.

First, let's cover the actors in this drama: My current DD's are a 1993 MPV and a 1996 Mitusbishi Delica. Beyond those items, there is a Suzuki DRZ-400SM, and some various in-process projects.

Feds

What's a Delica

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Before I start taking things apart, let's talk some more about the Delica. A Delica is basically a minivan mounted on a Montero. It's got a 2.8 litre turbo diesel, a 4-speed automatic, and a 4-mode transfer case (2wd, AWD, 4wd-high, 4wd-low). I bought it because I needed 3 rows of seats, I wanted 4wd, and I didn't want a Suburban. I also wanted to be able to do this:

So that I could get here:

With 2 adults and 2 youngins, and all our stuff for a weekend (including water, as this place has no plumbing).

Feds

MPV? Mazda's Perfect Van

PostThu Mar 22, 2012 5:44 pm

The MPV was a little bit of a surprise in my life. I was driving an R50 Pathfinder, but it had its strut tower separate from the rest of the structure, so Nissan kindly bought it back from me. I needed something in a hurry, and the MPV was the right deal. I had planned to flip it when the Delica arrived, but I just like it too dang much. It's not a lot bigger than a Mazda5, but is much roomier inside. Being a '93, it has fun features like Mazda's Renault-ripoff logo on the key, but no where else on the car. It's also a 4 door, in that it has 2 front doors, one rear-side door, and the hatch. Mine's a little weirdly-contented: 2wd/v6/auto, with rear heat and AC, but crank windows and manual locks. As Mrs. Feds is the primary driver on the PV, she requested Power Locks go in tout de suite.

Easy enough, says I. Buy a kit:

Take the door panel off:

Thank The God of Your Understanding that Mazda saw fit to run the wires for the door locks, even if they didn't install the actuators, then spend 3 days cutting the crap out of your hands on sharp inner door metal until you achieve the following:

The other front door and the hatch are basically repeats, but the rear side door threw in a bit of a twist... the bell crank reverses the motion of the actuator, so out for unlock and in for lock.

Not especially tricky, unless it is 1 am, and you've been at this since 9, and you've had 3 or 7 wobbly pops. Ultimately, you just reverse the wires, but you have to remember whether you reversed at the actuator connector, or at the splice into the body harness, or both (hopefully not both).

Only other trick was that the power lock wires ran right to the back of the van, but not into the rear door. A little finesse with a 3/16 aircraft cable, and I was able to pull some through and power the actuator.

LeftofLucky

Re: What's Happening in Feds' Garage

PostFri Mar 23, 2012 6:22 am

That Delica is unbelievably awesome, but why for no Suburban? I'm constantly on the hunt for a not-too-abused 2500 to play around with.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

failboat

PostFri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 am

that Delica looks massive....ly awesome.

Alcology

PostFri Mar 23, 2012 12:24 pm

I think they leave door metal sharp just to be jerks. Nice delica! There is a small chance I'll be living in canada in the fall and hopefully a delica can just fall into my ownership

Feds

PostFri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 pm

LeftofLucky wrote:That Delica is unbelievably awesome, but why for no Suburban? I'm constantly on the hunt for a not-too-abused 2500 to play around with.

3 things kept me out of the Suburban: first is access to the 3rd row. Folding seats out of the way is a non starter. Second, my Pathfinder got 16 mpg in regular commuting. I didn't see how a 4x4 Suburban could do better. I can squeeze 20 or more out of the Deli without trying too hard. Finally: Cost. My deli with 110,000 kms on it cost $12k on the road, and I overpaid a little to get it sooner. A $12,000 Suburban has 300,000 kms on it.

As for size: It is very tall, but very narrow, and no longer than a current sienna, so it is pretty easy to drive. It also has prox sensors on the corners, so it'll beep at you before you crash into anything.

Alcology: What part of Canada?

Alcology

PostSat Mar 24, 2012 9:50 am

Toronto

Return to Show and Tell