It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Ugly Horse: 1989 Ford Mustang 2.3T IRS project

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

failboat

Re: Ugly Horse: 1989 Ford Mustang 2.3T IRS project

PostMon Mar 12, 2012 4:58 am

One option, for center caps, use P71 "flat" center caps. They dont have a horse on them, but they do have the Ford emblem. They clip on to collared lug nuts. You can either get P71 lug nuts to do this, or spend 1/3 of the price on Ford Explorer/Ranger lug nuts that have the same collars for the caps to clip on to, the only difference is the head on the lug nut is a different size, its a little smaller. Obviously you'd have to make sure the thread pitch is the same as your mustang.

You could probably just find them at your local scrapyard?

jarvitron

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 12:54 pm

LeftofLucky wrote:Failboat: Apparently I've been led astray. A former Ford man told me they swapped lug patterns, but maybe he was talking offset and I just blanked. It's been known to happen.

Either way, the steelies are fuggin' awesome on the car. I'm not sure I should tell you how much I paid for mine, Jarvitron. These were effectively one-year-old take offs, still with the factory stickers on them. I picked them up for $60 for the full set. Also, that Dart is the damn jam. I've been thinking about figure out a way to make Mach I center caps work with these wheels if for no other reason than to have the horse emblem on the car somewhere.

Also, that's correct. I'm not going to wash the exterior. The interior will be clean, the mechanicals will be sharp enough to shave with, but the shell is staying ugly.

Hahaha $60 is a good price for sure, and I bet I could have gotten a better deal shopping around but I was impatient. I found a pair of bare rims for $75 that were in good shape but I had a bad experience getting 4runner rims for my datsun buying onesie twosie, because now I have some mismatched cutout window shapes which bug me. I also found a guy selling some clapped out, rusted at the bead take offs with tires I wouldn't put on a trailer for $280. I figured $200 for a nice clean set was a good deal, and these still have stickers and crap on them, they must have been removed right off the lot. I managed to smart buy some used center caps for a third of the price of the repops so I'm not too upset about it. Next car though I'm gonna wait and see if some cheap ones pop up. Those P71 center caps would look sharp on your car.

I love ugly cars, this one really gets some soccer mom goat, and if I pass a school bus it sounds like they're transporting mental patients and every burnout at every bus stop thinks they're having a flashback. I think you should do a spraycan stencil in the middle of your hood barespot, it's practically beggin' for it.

LeftofLucky

PostWed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 am

failboat wrote:One option, for center caps, use P71 "flat" center caps. They dont have a horse on them, but they do have the Ford emblem. They clip on to collared lug nuts. You can either get P71 lug nuts to do this, or spend 1/3 of the price on Ford Explorer/Ranger lug nuts that have the same collars for the caps to clip on to, the only difference is the head on the lug nut is a different size, its a little smaller. Obviously you'd have to make sure the thread pitch is the same as your mustang.

You could probably just find them at your local scrapyard?

I've spent more than a few moments meditating on those very caps. The problem is I've already laid down $30 for the shiny closed-end lug nuts that are holding the front wheels on (plus the 10 for the rear). Who knows. I may just run it without any cap to speak of. The uglier the better, I suppose.

I'm still fighting the damn inner CV boot. My issue right now is that with everything on, the boot is so tight it wants to slide off of the coupling that goes into the chunk. Every time I start to put pressure on a clamp, it looks as if the band is going to slide inward and off the boot. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get around it, but at this point, those $250 remans are looking sweeter and sweeter. I couldn't tell you how much time I've blown on one half shaft alone.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

LeftofLucky

PostMon Mar 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Taxes have put a bit of a slow on progress. I'm still looking for options for the inner CV boot, but it's looking more and more like I may just opt for having mine remanned. This is me sighing.

In the meantime, I started poking around to see why the steering wheel has around 15 degrees of play. Investigation revealed this:

Where once there was a rag joint by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

One very old, very tired rag joint.

Now there are just pieces by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

Or pieces there of. So, my options are to either rebuild the joint by grinding out the studs and bolting in a Doorman rebuild kit, or look for another option.

I think I may take this as a sign to rip out the power steering rack in favor of a 15:1 manual rack from these fine folks:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store ... cts_id=456

along with a solid steering knuckle:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store ... cts_id=459

Doing so will allow me to delete the pump and the massive chunk of aluminum that serves as the pump bracket. It should also give me a much more responsive wheel at the same time. Unfortunately, all these goodies will have to wait until after I get the rear axles situated.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

groove

PostWed Mar 28, 2012 9:57 am

Hey Zach, I'm a regular listener of that podcast you're on, and it's really great to see a build thread on this brilliant project. Please keep posting updates, as well as talking about it on the podcast. Cheers!

JayP

PostWed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Don't underestimate a Tennessee boy... I saw that Knox plate.

This build is awesome. It's what I'd want to try eventually with the lad in tow.

LeftofLucky

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 12:12 pm

JayP wrote:Don't underestimate a Tennessee boy... I saw that Knox plate.

This build is awesome. It's what I'd want to try eventually with the lad in tow.

Haha. It's true. I'm down Knoxville way. What we lack in funds and talent we tend to make up for in ingenuity and sheer want.

LeftofLucky

PostSun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 am

Old brakes are old by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

Well, things escalated quickly this weekend. I came down to the garage Friday afternoon to find the left wheel cylinder weeping onto the floor. I could either let it bleed out, replace it for el cheapo or use it as an excuse to extract the solid axle. I went with the latter.

I disconnected the driveshaft:

Out with the driveshaft by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

And began working on the brake lines. The hard to rubber line was no problem, but the emergency brake cables gave me a bit of a fit. I struggled with these damn retainer clips for half an hour before finally deducing a way to make them work. They're basically rolled sheet metal with little prongs that spring out to keep the cable in place. I started with the standard needle-nose-and-curse method before figuring out a 13 mm wrench is a perfect fit for compressing all the prongs at once.

Emergency brake cable by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

Emergency cable removal tool by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

With those out of the way, I unbolted the shocks and the upper mounting arms for the axle.

Out with the old axle by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

A couple of more bolts and sheblam:

Horse cart by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

Axle out. At this point I had contented myself to simply let the car hang out in the garage with its ass in the air until I could figure an axle solution, but the wife was off on a shoot most of Saturday, so I took the next step. Yanking out the bump stops. Ford used what can only be describes as the world's most sorry spot welds in '89, so it was as simple as adding cold chisel and three-pound sledge to the recipe.

Offending bump stop by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

Bump stop begone by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

I threw some white Rustoleum on there to keep my chisel marks from going cancerous. I may shoot the whole underside at some point in the future. With all the tools laying around, it didn't take long to start trimming the rear inner fender well to clear the IRS bracket. As it turns out, the brackets use one of the quad-shock mounts as an indicator. Hold, mark, trim. It looks straighter in the flesh. Honest.

10-Trimmed-fender-well by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

I planned to stop here, but with the brackets bolted in place and the wife still at work, I couldn't help but roll the IRS under the car for a look see. A look see turned into a "maybe I can muscle this onto the trans jack by myself," which in turn led to a "quick" test fit. As it turns out, the IRS bolts directly into the stock torque boxes up front, and with the rear bracket in place, it's as simple as lifting the IRS into it's new home. The whole rear pan of a Fox and an SN95 is effectively identical, which meant the whole shebang went in with little more than a few curses.

That's different by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

From the vantage of the internet, the damn thing looks ready to light some tires, but the truth is it all has to come back out. I have to fabricate brake lines as well as drill in more mounting holes for the rear brackets. I'll give you a better look at those when that happens. It also means pulling the fuel tank one more time. Shudder. In the mean time enjoy this purdy picture:

Look, an IRS fox body by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

I'll also need shocks and a driveshaft solution, too. All things in time.

Han_Solex

PostSun Apr 15, 2012 11:59 am

Holy crap! Good show, old boy! Can't wait to hear what your impressions are of it after the first drive. Keep us posted.

LeftofLucky

PostMon Apr 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Stickers by LeftofLucky, on Flickr

If VTEC stickers add five horsepower, what do Hooniverse stickers do?

Han_Solex

PostMon Apr 16, 2012 5:27 pm

They add tetanus.

tbrand

PostMon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Han_Solex wrote:They add tetanus.

Judging by the look of the car, he's already had his tetanus shot.
PreviousNext

Return to Show and Tell