My Goat

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

jeep_jeff

Re: My Goat

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 am

Scandinavian Flick wrote:
jeep_jeff wrote:Yes and Hell Yes. Is that just one of their tap handles?

Yup :D

When you get to installing it, if you need any help with tapping/machined adapters, I've got a machine shop at my disposal now.

Scandinavian Flick

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 12:06 pm

jeep_jeff wrote:
Scandinavian Flick wrote:
jeep_jeff wrote:Yes and Hell Yes. Is that just one of their tap handles?

Yup :D

When you get to installing it, if you need any help with tapping/machined adapters, I've got a machine shop at my disposal now.

Most excellent! I had been thinking of how I was going to go about mounting it, so I will definitely hit you up when the time comes :)

Scandinavian Flick

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Some installed pics:

Neutral

3rd

4th

pj134

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 7:02 am

Putting a new head unit in it makes a world of difference. I would highly recommend it.

Scandinavian Flick

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 11:12 am

pj134 wrote:Putting a new head unit in it makes a world of difference. I would highly recommend it.

I have a few reasons for not doing this. I really like having the functioning display around the gauges, as well as steering wheel controls. Also the stock appearance is a nice theft discouragement. Unless I went with a double DIN screen, the install kits don't look that great either...

zsm

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 am

Scandinavian Flick wrote:Image

Okay do I want to know why Rudolf is imprisoned in your transmission tunnel decked-out in a black leather gimp mask? Does it make the goat really fly? At least in this quoted version of the image is now safe for work. It seems he enjoys your tugging on his big red nose at least.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Scandinavian Flick

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 am

Lol... Rudolf comparisons here, shrunken swollen shaft comments on another forum, and a clown nose allusion from my own mother...

Good thing I like it regardless. :D

zsm

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Seriously it is very nice because of all the other read in the car. But I suggest if anyone ever makes a disparaging comment (pretty much at this point everybody is going to have one or the other of those 'original' themes) you stroke the e-brake handle and say, "And I installed this 100% genuine imitation reindeer/clown hide all by myself." (as appropriate) It will shut them up at least.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

pj134

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Out side of the dash plastic being blue and the kit being black, they don't look too bad. I'll take a picture of my brother's setup. He has an Avic F700BT previously from his RX8 in it. The pioneer appradios are damn cool though.

Scandinavian Flick

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 10:17 am

I realized that I haven't updated my project threads in a while, so I'm copy pasting an update to all the forums I posted on... Anyway, this thing is becoming more and more of a piece of shit due to my own inability to maintain it to a necessary degree.

Current issues:
  • The brakes are shot with the front rotors being so warped it makes driving in traffic a rage-inducing exercise.
  • Tires are bald, which should be damn fun to deal with when it starts raining.
  • The suspension continues its downward spiral from mediocrity to downright dangerous. I am really not sure what GM was thinking with this suspension. It is such complete and utter shit, words simply cannot describe it. Also, looking back at the pics posted in the beginning of this thread, I realize exactly how much more the rear is sagging than it used to.
  • Still rolling on 3 bent wheels... I am assuming this is why I can't maintain balanced tires, which contributes to the shaking.
  • The above problems make it legitimately dangerous to drive...
  • A/C hasn't been working for about 4 weeks now due to an undiagnosed leak. (Miserable in the triple digit Concord heat. Seriously, fuck this place.)
  • I am fairly certain the transmission mounts, and possibly the engine mounts are shot. If not, I have no idea what's causing it to shake like that, and I fear the answer...

I have the brakes on order, but beyond that, I'm still looking at thousands in repairs. I'm starting to wonder what I was thinking when I bought this thing...

jeep_jeff

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Oakland hasn't gotten much above 70 in the past few weeks. The other side of the hills is much cooler. And expensive. Pick your poison.

I am now thankful for my suspension problems. That seriously sucks, dude. New rims and tires would be not cheap ($2000 or more? You mentioned the other day that you don't often spend less than $1k on tires). The other problem with the unbalanced wheels is that the vibrations will shred your bushings, blow out your shocks and crack your suspension arms and generally get worse as time goes on. Jeeps with solid axles and trackbars up front are terrible about this (the geometry is unstable, non-linear and not terribly predictable. It can develop resonances when you mess with it or things wear out/loosen up over time). Leaving one of the suspension problems in place can re-cause the problem(s) you just fixed. I know you know this stuff better than I do, but everything I've read says get it all fixed instead of living with it.

Maybe you need to dust off the BMW for a couple days and start cruising CL for Vipers again?

Scandinavian Flick

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 10:01 am

jeep_jeff wrote:Oakland hasn't gotten much above 70 in the past few weeks. The other side of the hills is much cooler. And expensive. Pick your poison.

I am now thankful for my suspension problems. That seriously sucks, dude. New rims and tires would be not cheap ($2000 or more? You mentioned the other day that you don't often spend less than $1k on tires). The other problem with the unbalanced wheels is that the vibrations will shred your bushings, blow out your shocks and crack your suspension arms and generally get worse as time goes on. Jeeps with solid axles and trackbars up front are terrible about this (the geometry is unstable, non-linear and not terribly predictable. It can develop resonances when you mess with it or things wear out/loosen up over time). Leaving one of the suspension problems in place can re-cause the problem(s) you just fixed. I know you know this stuff better than I do, but everything I've read says get it all fixed instead of living with it.

Maybe you need to dust off the BMW for a couple days and start cruising CL for Vipers again?

Yeah, I live on the Peninsula, and it has been really nice over there lately. It's a shame I am missing it all while slaving away in this Easy Bake Oven of a town... I drove the Bimmer today, and man... having functional A/C and a suspension that does its job makes me want to keep the thing.

Pricing out new wheels and tires puts me at the $2500 mark. Hence why I continue to roll on these. I may pick up some cheap BMW wheels to late use as drift wheels/tires, but even that isn't in the cards yet. The vibration causing further damage is something I hadn't actually thought of, and possibly explains why it has been getting worse. I'll have to do a thorough inspection when I have the car in the air this weekend.

The BRZ is starting to look more tempting...

I just read about your suspension woes as well. Glad to see you found a solution, and hopefully that fixes the issue. I remember replacing the control arms on the Bimmer. The factory bushings were completely disintegrated at about the same mileage as your Jeep. Swapping them out made a world of difference.

On the plus side, my brakes showed up yesterday. EBC Redstuff pads and Centrix blanks. Now I need to pick up some fluid and I can get that done this weekend at least.
PreviousNext

Return to Show and Tell