It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm


My Goat

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

jarque

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm
  • Location: SF Bay Area

Re: My Goat

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 4:21 pm

jeep_jeff wrote:Oakland hasn't gotten much above 70 in the past few weeks. The other side of the hills is much cooler. And expensive. Pick your poison.


I've nearly made it through two summers in Concord in a 60 year old house with no central heat or AC. On the hottest days my wife and I either hole up in the guest room with the door closed and portable AC cranked or go see a movie or get a beer someplace cool. My brother says he can put in central heat and air for "five or ten thousand" (quite the range), so that could be an option someday.
Offline
User avatar

pj134

  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 am
  • Location: Near Philadelphia

Re: My Goat

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:59 am

Are you still on the RPF1s? My brother is getting a set of Forgestar F14s and they aren't too crazy expensive while still saving a lot of weight. Those with set of Michelin PSSs might save you a bit of money.

What have you done to your poor little GTO?!?
Offline
User avatar

Scandinavian Flick

  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am
  • Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: My Goat

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 9:57 am

pj134 wrote:Are you still on the RPF1s? My brother is getting a set of Forgestar F14s and they aren't too crazy expensive while still saving a lot of weight. Those with set of Michelin PSSs might save you a bit of money.

What have you done to your poor little GTO?!?

For now, yeah. The Forgestars are what I was looking at going to next, since they are cheaper than the Enkeis, the same weight, and I really like the choices in finish and pretty much any offset. What finish is your brother going with? I'll be sticking with the Hankook V12 Evo K110s though. I'm also still debating on just repairing the RPF1s... I want to get some OEM E46 BMW 17s to roll on while getting them fixed and then using them as drift wheels after ditching the shitty stock diff.

Holy crap, what a list...
Offline
User avatar

Scandinavian Flick

  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am
  • Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: My Goat

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 9:58 am

Also, I got the brakes done this last weekend, and finished breaking them in. Thanks to the wonders of commuting on the East Bay, I had a couple chances to test them out on my way to work this morning. The EBC Redstuffs have some seriously amazing bite. My ABS can hardly keep up with them, and the car behind me sure wasn't expecting my hulking brute of a car to come to a stop that quickly...

Anyway, no more shaking when braking, but oddly, the vibrations at speed have gotten worse. It's only in the steering, and other than in the steering wheel, I can't even feel it. It feels like a tire/wheel balance issue, but I just had that checked a few weeks ago. It also seems to be driving surface dependent and vibrates more on newer pavement. I'll be bringing it back to Wheel Works in RWC to have them check it again this weekend, but as of now, I have no idea...
Offline
User avatar

pj134

  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 am
  • Location: Near Philadelphia

Re: My Goat

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 10:18 am

Scandinavian Flick wrote:For now, yeah. The Forgestars are what I was looking at going to next, since they are cheaper than the Enkeis, the same weight, and I really like the choices in finish and pretty much any offset. What finish is your brother going with? I'll be sticking with the Hankook V12 Evo K110s though. I'm also still debating on just repairing the RPF1s... I want to get some OEM E46 BMW 17s to roll on while getting them fixed and then using them as drift wheels after ditching the shitty stock diff.

Holy crap, what a list...


I think he's going with matte black or gunmetal with his impulse blue. Although someone decided not to stop at the intersection he was crossing yesterday and caught him kind of hard in the right rear and pushed the wheel back about 6 inches and in 2 or three so we'll see what happens I guess.

I don't know if it what kind of shape yours was in when you bought it, but when everything is working right, even stock, it is an awesome car.
Offline
User avatar

Scandinavian Flick

  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am
  • Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: My Goat

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 am

pj134 wrote:I think he's going with matte black or gunmetal with his impulse blue. Although someone decided not to stop at the intersection he was crossing yesterday and caught him kind of hard in the right rear and pushed the wheel back about 6 inches and in 2 or three so we'll see what happens I guess.

I don't know if it what kind of shape yours was in when you bought it, but when everything is working right, even stock, it is an awesome car.

I was going to say, please not matte black... That doesn't look good on any color. Gunmetal on the other hand looks fantastic. But damn... That sucks about the accident. That most likely won't buff out. :cry:

At 10K miles, mine was flawless when I bought it. I just haven't been able to keep up on the small issues that have come up more recently. (70K) The suspension has pretty much always been terrible though. For anyone considering buying one of these; make sure you have the money to replace pretty much the entire setup before doing anything else.
Offline
User avatar

jeep_jeff

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm
  • Location: Oakland, CA

Re: My Goat

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Scandinavian Flick wrote:Also, I got the brakes done this last weekend, and finished breaking them in. Thanks to the wonders of commuting on the East Bay, I had a couple chances to test them out on my way to work this morning. The EBC Redstuffs have some seriously amazing bite. My ABS can hardly keep up with them, and the car behind me sure wasn't expecting my hulking brute of a car to come to a stop that quickly...

Anyway, no more shaking when braking, but oddly, the vibrations at speed have gotten worse. It's only in the steering, and other than in the steering wheel, I can't even feel it. It feels like a tire/wheel balance issue, but I just had that checked a few weeks ago. It also seems to be driving surface dependent and vibrates more on newer pavement. I'll be bringing it back to Wheel Works in RWC to have them check it again this weekend, but as of now, I have no idea...


Weird that the vibrations got worse. If you can't feel them in your butt, it's just going to be the front suspension (and also rules out any of the drivetrain components). Most likely is wheel balance. Maybe a weight got kicked off? Check to see if you still have all your wheel weights.

If that's fine, maybe something shook loose in the front? Check your steering and suspension bolts and check your tie rods (on SFAs, at least, loose tie rods can cause bad vibrations; I don't think this is as likely on your GTO). Did you get a chance to look at the bushings and test the shocks?
Offline
User avatar

pj134

  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 am
  • Location: Near Philadelphia

Re: My Goat

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 6:58 am

Scandinavian Flick wrote:I was going to say, please not matte black... That doesn't look good on any color. Gunmetal on the other hand looks fantastic. But damn... That sucks about the accident. That most likely won't buff out. :cry:

At 10K miles, mine was flawless when I bought it. I just haven't been able to keep up on the small issues that have come up more recently. (70K) The suspension has pretty much always been terrible though. For anyone considering buying one of these; make sure you have the money to replace pretty much the entire setup before doing anything else.


I don't think he's hearing me on my rootbeer suggestion but he's probably going to end up with gunmetal I think.
Offline
User avatar

Scandinavian Flick

  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am
  • Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: My Goat

PostThu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 am

jeep_jeff wrote:Weird that the vibrations got worse. If you can't feel them in your butt, it's just going to be the front suspension (and also rules out any of the drivetrain components). Most likely is wheel balance. Maybe a weight got kicked off? Check to see if you still have all your wheel weights.

If that's fine, maybe something shook loose in the front? Check your steering and suspension bolts and check your tie rods (on SFAs, at least, loose tie rods can cause bad vibrations; I don't think this is as likely on your GTO). Did you get a chance to look at the bushings and test the shocks?

The wheel weight sounds like a logical explanation. Possibly coincidental...? Another weird observation is that it stops vibrating when braking, even without load shifting. That is to say, if I ride the brakes, the vibration stops. There is almost no way I messed up the install of the brakes, and the vibration was pretty bad before the brake job anyway. I'm really thinking/hoping it's just really really out of whack wheel balance. This thing has so many wheel weights (probably due to the bent wheels) that I have no clue if all of them are there or not.

I completely forgot to check the bushings when I had the car in the air... I know the shocks are shot to shit... No need to further test. Worthless piece of shit OEM Monroes. :evil:
Offline
User avatar

Scandinavian Flick

  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am
  • Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: My Goat

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 10:38 am

Just got new tires and an alignment. In addition to riding a lot better, the vibration is almost completely gone. I had them inspect the front end for anything wrong while they had it in the air, and everything looked fine. Driving to work today I noticed it still vibrates, but not nearly as much. It's very faint, about 10% of what it did before the tires/alignment, and most of the time it doesn't at all, but it's still there. Something is still wrong, but not nearly as wrong as I feared...




Also, I can proudly say that Operation Farewell to Tires was a great success Friday night.

Fender rubber:

Image

Pavement gravel actually embedded in the front tire from many donuts:

Image


And this video doesn't show much, but it sounds cool, so I'm posting it anyway:

Offline
User avatar

jeep_jeff

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm
  • Location: Oakland, CA

Re: My Goat

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Scandinavian Flick wrote:Just got new tires and an alignment. In addition to riding a lot better, the vibration is almost completely gone. I had them inspect the front end for anything wrong while they had it in the air, and everything looked fine. Driving to work today I noticed it still vibrates, but not nearly as much. It's very faint, about 10% of what it did before the tires/alignment, and most of the time it doesn't at all, but it's still there. Something is still wrong, but not nearly as wrong as I feared...


Awesome. You still have the bent rims on there, right? They might not have been able to get them perfectly balanced, just close. (This happens to Jeeps all the time. A 15" lug centric wheel with 33"-35" rubber is difficult to balance, and TJ suspension is really picky about tire balance...) Since the guys at the shop thought everything looked fine, I bet new rims and the shock/spring upgrade you've mentioned will do it.
Offline
User avatar

Scandinavian Flick

  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am
  • Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: My Goat

PostMon Oct 08, 2012 12:27 pm

True, that is highly plausible. I guess I'm mostly paranoid because I know of the massive number of things that can go wrong with the front suspension on these things. As soon as I can afford it, I'll be picking up a set of factory 17s to roll around on while I get my Enkeis repaired. After that, the 17s will get the cheapest tires possible for drift duty.
PreviousNext

Return to Show and Tell

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron