It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Diesel Fuel Only - Factory Diesel Jeep Comanche

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

automan2164

Diesel Fuel Only - Factory Diesel Jeep Comanche

PostSun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Well, well, well. Lured here by a friend who found a few articles on the Jeep Comanche, I think I might be here to stay awhile. After reading the "About" I really got to liking this place. I am all about every kind of vehicle, especially the interesting, forgotten, weird, and unusual. Happy to be here, sounds like I will be among friends.

I moderate a Jeep Comanche Forum (http://www.comancheclub.com/forums) and am absolutely addicted to everything MJ (Manufacturer code for Comanche, didn't stop with CJ's). I've had nearly 20 of them, and finally have a couple worth keeping. I have an '87 Metric Ton from California, and the one I am about to post about, an '86 Jeep Comanche "X" with the factory 2.1L Renault Turbo Diesel. Enough banter though... We all want pictures! Being that my main forum is phpbb also, I can get away with dragging some highlight posts from my 7 page (So far) build thread over there. Some details for those who aren't familiar:

1986 Jeep Comanche "X"
2.1L 2068CC Renault overhead cam Turbo Diesel
AX5 5 speed Manual Transmission
NP207 Transfer Case
Dana 30 Front axle 4.10 ratio
Dana 35 Rear axle 4.10 ratio
Longbed

Comanche Club build thread:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... =7&t=32872

I'll start with that for now, but when I get some free time, I plan on dragging some of my keynotes over from my main build. I would be happy to answer any questions about this truck, Jeep Comanche's or just Jeeps in general if any expertise is needed in that area.

Rob 8-)
The Fleet
'86 MJ 2.1L 4x4 MT LWB - Diesel Fuel Only - MY COMANCHE HAS A BOOST GAUGE!
'87 MJ 4.0L 4x2 AT LWB - The Farmer
'98 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Limited - U.A.V. Urban Assault Vehicle

tbrand

Re: Diesel Fuel Only - Factory Diesel Jeep Comanche

PostMon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 am

Welcome! I wondered if we'd see you over here after you linked to that weekend poll over in The Pub. Welcome! You'll fit in well here.

pj134

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 4:15 pm

That is glorious, but was that engine shot taken in the rain or is that... normal?

It's too bad the XJ and MJ went away from that style front end.

tbrand

PostTue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm

The MJ never officially went away from that front end - it was dead in '92, and the big XJ refresh happened in '97.

The header panels and fenders swap very easily though, so it's not too much work to have the '97+ front end on there.

pj134

PostWed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 am

Huh, I thought for the 92 MJ (and post-93 XJ) they stopped doing the grille/majority of the front end in chrome and made black only or painted your only options. My bad.

tbrand

PostWed Apr 04, 2012 10:28 am

Oh, I don't know about the availability of the chrome grille. I was referring to the squarer front end they stuck on in '97.

I think I actually have a chrome grille like that one in what passes for storage at my apartment

LeftofLucky

PostWed Apr 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Mother of all things delicious. This thing is amazing. Why Jeep can't get itself together long enough to build a modern equivalent is absolutely beyond me. What kind of power does the little Renault mill make?
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

automan2164

PostSat Apr 21, 2012 8:58 am

Sorry about the delay here, my post notification was eaten by my spam box.

pj134 wrote:That is glorious, but was that engine shot taken in the rain or is that... normal?

It's too bad the XJ and MJ went away from that style front end.

I was in the process of degreasing the engine, so that's a bunch of engine brite. It was leaking from every orifice, so I wanted to degrease the whole big shebang before I started putting wrenches to it. So far I have repaired the valve cover gasket, dipstick tube leak, vacuum pump leak, and will shortly be addressing the remote oil filter mount leak/keeping my fingers crossed the rear main isn't leaking.

pj134 wrote:Huh, I thought for the 92 MJ (and post-93 XJ) they stopped doing the grille/majority of the front end in chrome and made black only or painted your only options. My bad.

They were available throughout. While they are harder to come by in the later years, they do exist... The style sort of fell out of well, style. You can even find some chrome on the '97+, although just in the limiteds and freedoms.

LeftofLucky wrote:Mother of all things delicious. This thing is amazing. Why Jeep can't get itself together long enough to build a modern equivalent is absolutely beyond me. What kind of power does the little Renault mill make?

Thanks for the compliment. It's a neat little creature for sure. For power, it leaves something to be desired. It puts out a whopping 85 horsepower and about 135 ft lbs of torque. Jeep did try to do this in recent years, although not in a "Jeep Jeep". The Grand Cherokee you could get with a 3.0L Mercedes V6 that was pretty stout and reliable. Big power also. In '05/6 you could get a Liberty with a 2.8L VM Italian CRD also, about 300 ft lbs in a little platform like that. They originally had planned on releasing about 5000 of them, but they flew off the lots. They did some research, and the longest time one sat was on a lot in Texas, for about a week. They only made 12000 total for the 2 years, but they are still highly sought after and looked for. The thing that killed the engine was our emissions. Rather than try to rework the engine for the new '07 standards, they just killed it off.

I'll try to keep this thread more updated as I go. Been awhile since I updated the main one over at the Comanche Club, as life has been busy.

Rob :mrgreen:
The Fleet
'86 MJ 2.1L 4x4 MT LWB - Diesel Fuel Only - MY COMANCHE HAS A BOOST GAUGE!
'87 MJ 4.0L 4x2 AT LWB - The Farmer
'98 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Limited - U.A.V. Urban Assault Vehicle

Return to Show and Tell