It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:25 pm

My concept sketches for Americanized microcars.

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Fester

My concept sketches for Americanized microcars.

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 pm

This is just something I've been screwing around with, thought I'd post it up and see what people have to say about it.

Random thoughts:
For Americans to embrace small car, they have to be butch looking.

Some things we accept as must-have features for a car are counter to economy in a tiny, primarily low speed car (independent suspension, I'm looking at you).

Car manufacturers could look to cheap scooters for ideas to make cars cheaper.

Many people don't go 50mph on a daily basis, yet they drive cars that are well equipped to cruise at double that speed - and that packs a lot of weight onto a car for unused performance potential.

Many people could commute in a side-by-side ATV if they were allowed on the road.

Two wheeled vehicles allow purchasers to decide where their safety/cost/efficiency trade-off should be. Four wheeled vehicles offer similar trade-off over a much smaller range. Even the bottom feeders are forced to have airbags and crumple zones and such.

Scooter as car. Really it's more of a micro-utility-vehicle than a microcar. MUV?

To make it cheap:

Body side panels are flat - could be flat plastic, could be aluminum on commerical models.

Engine, trans, fuel tanks, and rear suspension are integrated into one module.

Body and frame allows for the same mechanicals to be employed under a number of different bodies specialized for certain tasks.

Zombie apocalypse perhaps?

So fellow Hoons...

Would you drive something like this?

What features that are ubiquitous on modern cars would you rethink if you had the opportunity?

What feature that doesn't work on the current paradigm of car would you add to a car if you had the opportunity?

ZomBee Racer

Re: My concept sketches for Americanized microcars.

PostFri Feb 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Those are pretty cool.

I'm gonna start drilling rivets into the wife's smart-car.

needthatcar

PostSat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 am

They remind me of GEM cars, only cool.

I would love to have something like this. Of course, I can fall in love with just about anything new and different.

Kamil

PostSat Feb 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Dude, great job!

Really cool. Most people are little bitches however and want AC, power this and that, and cupholders. And a brand name... so slap a BMW badge on these.

Lotte

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 pm

These are really good renders! Very detailed, and I like how the powerplant is modular so it could be more adaptable to whatever the future method of propulsion will be.

One concern I have is "will Americans actually buy it?" I mean, if all it took for a car to sell is to look butch the Caliber would've sold like hotcakes. There needs to be a deeper understanding in what buyers are looking for, both physically (cabin size, amenities, NVH) and non-physically (curb appeal, does it "look solid"?) Like if you showed your aunt this, would she buy it? I can appreciate exposed suspension linkages and understand the cost effectiveness of flat body paneling, but the average American consumer might not. It could appeal geologically; I could see people in the boonies use this because they don't have public transportation but someone in NYC might not see the appeal.

I think this answers the question "Motocross as a car". And I want to see it hit a yump and catch some air :D

zsm

PostThu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 am

These are really great! I would buy it if it was inexpensive enough and simple to maintain.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Greg

PostFri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Awesome renderings and a really cool design! I'd rock the Duff Beer one any day ;)
Hooniverse News Editor

fodder650

PostTue Mar 06, 2012 6:27 am

Have you seen the Lotus T.25 concepts? You seem to have the same ideas they do from what we little we have seen of the T.25

wrigh003

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 pm

I’d drive one of those. If you pave a slightly wider strip on the right shoulder of the road and stick a jersey barrier between me and the Latte-guzzling text-messaging mom in her Excursion.

For my part, the vehicle itself isn’t so much the concern as the differential in size between it and the others on the highway. For pure city cars, I can see it, but there’s a lot of America that’s not a city, and if it’s not legal and/or safe to drive these things between those urban centers, that is what would kill it, I think.

Return to Show and Tell