It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:22 pm

there are larger details I should be worrying about

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

NoKetchup

there are larger details I should be worrying about

PostTue May 01, 2012 4:49 pm

this constitutes for my intro post... hey guys, been lurking a long time.

So 5 years into what began as a simple trans swap.... I don't think I am any closer to having a working car. Screw it, sometimes you just gotta crack a few beers and work on something completely pointless.

I present to you my wood steering tilt lever. I am using a very fine central american rose wood: bocote as I feel it complements the bare metal of the rest of the interior.

I cant replace the whole arm so begin whittling.

aaannndd commit.

check fitment

ooook, that was a fairly more involved shape than I was anticipating, but the fitment is perfect

test fit to the stock column shield (no this is not the final design ques of the lever handle)

still not the final shape but a real world perspective shot.

pj134

Re: there are larger details I should be worrying about

PostWed May 02, 2012 5:33 am

Wait, people lurk us? There are only, like, five people and a handful of Canadians... Whoda thunk...

Welcome, what is it that the lever is attached to? I do see Rousch pedals, but that's about it...

Ah screw it, someone will indentify it in a couple minutes.

failboat

PostWed May 02, 2012 9:47 am

why wood tilt lever?

BECAUSE RACE CAR

NoKetchup

PostWed May 02, 2012 5:18 pm

pj134 wrote:Welcome, what is it that the lever is attached to? I do see Rousch pedals, but that's about it...

Ah screw it, someone will indentify it in a couple minutes.

is it wrong that I purposely staged the photos to be as unidentifiable as possible?? The roush pedals, while they could be accurate for the car, are likely more of a red herring.

yes I was lurking; for months. The progress on the EV Midget is what officially is driving me out of hiding. I have a pretty solid EV background (with a penchance for unusual applications). I am a little surprised to see what I think is a NPC motor as opposed to the more common etek motor (you'll find a bigger market for people hooning their golfcart over their wheelchair).

NoKetchup

PostFri May 11, 2012 9:33 pm

also no point to this post... more purely pointless work

un molested

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sawzall

just starting up with the angle grinder... its slow going because the cover heats up quickly, so I'm working in short bursts

down to the dremel

as the mount slowly fades away... and the polishing begins

nice even surface and the tuck pointing was pretty solid.

now I could nitpick the contouring for weeks but I'm pretty happy with this.... just need to finish the sanding.

top view

and a bit more

LeftofLucky

PostSat May 12, 2012 5:07 am

I was dirt poor in college, but I scrounged up enough cash to buy a VTEC head and a limited-slip trans for the Civic. I spent the next three months polishing on that valve cover because I couldn't afford to do anything else. By the time I was done, you could see your own nose hairs in it. Sometimes it's about getting done what you can get done. It all needs finishing eventually.

Stellar work, man. Looks great.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

NoKetchup

PostSat May 12, 2012 8:12 am

lefty, ya money has been in serious shortage the past few years. Honestly the car was very close to cranking up a year ago but I simply couldn't afford a few small ticket items and trans fluid. But I have a new job now so soon enough I should have her back on the road.

btw, your 'stang build is fantastic.

... but I am also very OCD with an obsession for weight reduction.

I tried posting a doubleshot of pointless last night and include the rear cover but the board gave me errors about unknown image sizes.... lets try that again with something equally pointless.

tb

disassembled

chopping off the most offensive of the excess metal on the tb

well here she is now.... still a long way to go but the basic shape and contours are there.

heres some comparison pics for its new shape.... this was an afternoon of work, and it still needs a lot of cleanup work.

NoKetchup

PostSat May 12, 2012 9:18 am

sidetracking a bit on pic posting. when I gutted the car, it was clear that the wiring needed to be cleaned up and reduced. I'll post the rest of the cabin at a future date but the trunk area really needed to be tied down better

(these are the only wires that run past the front seats).

and the pass side of the car

----------

and here are the tools I am going to use for this (drill not shown). The foam I need to wrap the wires as they run over the drivers side rear strut tower. I don't want them damaged by rubbing against anything (actually that may be where that foam was originally from, I totally forget).

---------

this takes longer than I would thought... well half way done. taking a short break because I have to finish some wire cleaning and retaping before I go any further.

aaaaand I'm out of 3/8" clamps.

I love this pic, so clean

FordTempoFan

PostTue May 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Regarding the wood tilt lever...

Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook
Twitter: @csdempsey

NoKetchup

PostWed May 16, 2012 10:33 am

well tomorrow is the car's birthday. Unfortunately with the new job, I can't take the day off for a full day of festivities like I normally do.

but I do have every intention of pushing her out of the garage for the day like I do every year.

I do have some nice birthday presents lined up for her: a steering linkage bolt (which I sheared the old one and took forever to get the proper replacement), a factory new ECU wiring harness and the actual ECU that should be in the car (rather than one thats incorrect and hacked to 'kinda' run), and a replacement outer tie rod.

should be fun!

LeftofLucky

PostThu May 17, 2012 7:09 am

I know what you're doing, and it makes me smile. That should be quite the machine when you're done. Yes, these cars are a tangle of pointless wiring. Your rear harness looks spotless given what was there originally. I'm jealous.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

NoKetchup

PostThu May 17, 2012 4:50 pm

LeftofLucky wrote:I know what you're doing, and it makes me smile. That should be quite the machine when you're done. Yes, these cars are a tangle of pointless wiring. Your rear harness looks spotless given what was there originally. I'm jealous.

the wiring overall is a marvel. I'll start posting more aspects of it. But on that topic, I said I was swapping in the proper ECU wire harness. Well that was a freakin mess. The last time I swapped this harness was something like 8 years ago and was a bit lazy and altered its path a bit.

So all determined to do things properly, I needed to pull the starter motor to get the bundle to sit underneith it. This required removing the coolant crossover between the heads, which meant draining the coolant, disconnecting the hoses. but to get the crossover out, I had to pull the pcv rebreather which is on the top of the block which ment the lower intake manifold needed to come out, the fuel rail, the injector wire harness, spark plug wires and coilpack, and the upper intake manifold..... dear lord.

The next thing I know I am polishing the mount housing for the starter motor, which leads me to disassemble the starter so I can seperate the painting portion and the polishing portion.

so ya, 2 something in the morning and this is what I am staring at (and certainly pissing my neighbors off with my dremel).

and heres whats troubling, I didn't necissarily need to remove a damn thing to get that wireharness plugged in and squared away. and why the hell was I dicking with the starter motor.... I have at least 3 starters laying around that are in far better condition than the one I pulled.
Next

Return to Show and Tell