It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 am

there are larger details I should be worrying about

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

NoKetchup

Re: there are larger details I should be worrying about

PostThu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm

These next 2 posts are quite dull, I apologize. I am trying to group some of these individual tasks.

ok on to the radiator assembly. I know there was some A/C stuff attached to this harness, but that was pulled off so long ago I can't give you a description of what happened before this, but this is what it looks like now on its factory routing. (the wires are routed along the top of the radiator)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

theres a fair amount of work involved but these wires need to run UNDER the fans, I don't want them visible from the top of engine bay. So here is me just playing with it, I have 4 soldering points to make to complete this, and rivet in some wire clips to hold it in place.

ok got the radiator fan wire harness squared away where the wiring now runs underneath rather than on top where it is visible, just need to rivet in some tie downs and she's good to go.

and unfortunately my phone's memory card is jacked right now and I can't grap the final pic but its quite clean.

NoKetchup

PostThu May 17, 2012 5:35 pm

so the window wiring has always bothered me. there was a ton of it and it just spidered through the whole freakin interior wire harness (mainly due to the keyless entry, remote unlock and security, speaker wire). There are 2 things I need it to do: raise/lower the window and adjust the mirrors. My car is just up-market/new enough that there isn't a manual window option I can retrofit, and I am big on keeping total stock look outside so I need to keep the mirrors. ALso I wanted the windows entirely seperate from the car (why should I need keys in the car to work the windows?)

This is the passenger door and this is something I did a number of years (why would my passenger need window switches???!??). but if you are going to rock no interior, it needs to be much cleaner than this

you might be able to see where I slipped the wires... I"m not sure if I want to intentionally hide them or not, but this is where they are going to sit for now.

the drivers door needs to look like the passenger side and the switches moved into the body side, but for the moment they are just going to hang freely... (I left wire leads on the drivers side for an alternate to doing a pillar guage pod. I figure I can mount three smaller guages in the upper corner of the door, bonus is if I am on the dyno or something and the door is open, those guages are much more visible outside the car)

sad but the bulk of this evening was devoted to cutting out this small length of wiring you see in this pic (I could have very easily bundled it in a way you would have never seen this but whatevs).

needs clip mounts still but its a good start.

passenger side is locked down

NoKetchup

PostThu May 17, 2012 7:49 pm

pardon the minatude of this post.... continuing the theme of this thread and what I find most pressing to deal with right now; I am continuing on with the starter motor from last night. there is a back bracket/grounding mount that could use a refresh.

there are grounding parts on it so I do want to tape those off to maintain those points.
(got a roll of 3m pressure sensitive tape from god knows how old)

put a piece of tape down

tighten bolt to its natural position, and etch the tracing... then remove the excess.

the tape is thick enough that it will take quite a bit of abuse from a dremel, but ground the surface bare and flushed up all the edging.

and now I will drop a dozen or so coats of rustolium.... on to watching paint dry!

EDIT: and the primer is now dry. in a week I will put the top coat on and pull the tapeovers.

NoKetchup

PostWed May 23, 2012 8:18 pm

continuing the worlds slowest progress of a car (well I was out of town for a few days), knocking that fing rust off the starter motor.

NoKetchup

PostThu May 31, 2012 8:09 pm

hmmmm, I realize now I never actually posted a pic of the car itself.

its stock outside other than the hood latches

anyways, I was excited about diving back into the car now that the weathers warming but apparently I have a lung infection or something, so unfortunately its going to be a few weeks before I can venture out to the garage.

pj134

PostFri Jun 01, 2012 5:40 am

Now that we know what it is, what is your plan for it?

NoKetchup

PostSun Jun 03, 2012 3:24 pm

pj134 wrote:Now that we know what it is, what is your plan for it?

worlds wildest police chases.

NoKetchup

PostWed Jun 27, 2012 5:28 pm

well after a month off from some very scary medical stuff, I am back in the garage on a trial basis to continue the world's slowest car build.

So I'm done putzing around with the starter motor and its time to reassemble it.... hmmm, it was a bit more involved than I anticipated and required me to disassemble it more than I thought was possible just to reassemble.

first head scratcher was the permanent magnets that encircle the motor shaft.... how am I suppose to hold those open and cram the shaft through.

I have an idea but it's not going to be easy. its 11pm on a work day and I need something non-alcoholic. My suspicions were right and this is positively the way to do this.

like a champ!

and fastforward a bit, and you can possibly spot how all that work on the starter motor improves the overall appearance.... not-at-all. (sorry guys I know this isn't exciting, lots of fun parts laying around but things are just being thrown back in to hopefully start it up soon and then build from there)

NoKetchup

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 pm

Is it wrong to let a project car sit?? Ya, its been two full months and I haven't done a damn thing. Ya, I am posting this from my laptop from the trunk lid of my car. I just have not had the motivation.

NoKetchup

PostTue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 pm

I see that this is such a popular forum that 2 years after my last post this is still on the first page.

So to keep things up to date. I just totally lost motivation with the car. It sat and sat and sat. I got an offer from a friend/very-specific-make/model-homespun-speedshop that he would drop a higher spec motor and finish the details for XXX. It was an offer that was impossible to say no to and I equally (under)payed for shop priority. Its been there for a good 8 months or so (hard to complain with actually having garage space for the first time ever). All the important work has been done for a long time but there has been some pesky wiring issues thats preventing signal for kicking the fuel pump on. Now its easy to point fingers and say the 30 pounds of wire I cut from the car are to blame, but so far it seems thats not the issue and is actually part number matched new-in-box OEM engine bay harnesses are just not doing their job. Its probably also worth noting that during the manufacture of my car, it sat on the assembly line during a mid-year cutover that revised the fuel system and electrical and nothing on the car had ever matched documentation. Whatever, its sitting in the home stretch. I'm excited because I have not driven the car farther than garage to driveway in 7 years now and I feel like its getting close.

FrankTheCat

PostThu Jun 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Good news about your car!

And I swear I'm literally the only person who posts on this sorry-ass forum anymore, and that's only about my raw-knuckles-working-on-my-shitty-SAAB stories.

NoKetchup

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:56 pm

frank, thats a real shame for two reasons: the user base site comments have a signal-to-noise-ratio that is awesome. And I'm going out on a limb here but the extreme niche interests of most members doesn't always leave a lot of vibrant platform specific car club forum.

Whatever, I post because this is my exploration on trying to understand every nut/bolt/wire/circuit of a car (or any of my possessions).

yes and please post like crazy about anything Saab related. Had a former co-worker that kept a few very interesting 96s and a sonnet III (something about it being a factory rally prepped car). I won't deny having a serious bromance about having my own sonnet after a ride in that one.
Previous

Return to Show and Tell