It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 pm

1993 Impreza - Texas Rally Sport

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

CST/10

1993 Impreza - Texas Rally Sport

PostTue May 08, 2012 6:57 pm

So, for a refresher, this is my experience at the first Texas Rally Sport event:

http://hooniverse.com/2012/02/18/once-y ... -rallying/

I ran my '96 Firebird Formula (Trans-Am with out the bodykit) for a few events, and it did OK, but not ideal.

For the fourth event, I 'rented' a '95 Impreza with 2 other drivers. It was mid-build, but had WRX front suspension, and rally tires. The course was almost identical to the 1st even, where I ran the Formula. This little Subaru was 15 seconds faster around the track! It was a wicked time, ridiculous grip and enough suspension to attack the course at speed with control.

(Driving with the aforementioned madwomen, Brianne Corn.. "Go faster! No brake!")

The results? Third place, and 2nd fastest time of the day!

However, this car still beat all three of us in that '95... Owned by the series boss.

Well, I fell upon an offer I couldn't refuse. And with a generous sale from the boss of Texas Rally Sport, I got this '93 Impreza L 2wd, with a trunk full of RS2.5 suspension, AWD parts, and spares, and a set of rally tires for 1500 bucks. :mrgreen: All on the condition that he has a seat in the car at events. Currently its suspension is a mix of stock and RS2.5 parts. WRX cat-back (Quiet), and a cut airbox (Louder than the exhaust, lulzy) are the only "power" "mods", but it seems to help according to other 1.8 Subaru drivers.

I'm happy, time to really compete in Rally Cross. And, it's nice to average more than 15 mpg on premium fuel, like the Formula.

Next race is May 19th!
Formally TexanIdiot25

'69 Chevrolet CST/10: LWB, 350 SBC, TH350, 12-bolt 3.73
'96 Pontiac Formula
'93 Subaru Impreza: rallycross toy
'89 Chrysler New Yorker: CORINTHIAN LEATHER

seat safety switch

Re: 1993 Impreza - Texas Rally Sport

PostWed May 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Looks like you got some seriously nice parts. I love rallycrossing my beater '97 Outback Sport, and it's completely stock.

Although I bought it for the explicit purpose of rallycrossing it, I'm pretty jealous of your lack of rust compared to mine. The bumper mount tab has let go on the right rear quarter, so I think learning to weld is in my immediate future. :)

I've handed WRXes and STIs their butts before when the weather gets bad enough to keep them from safely putting all of their power down, and once you're at speed you're just as fast as they are if you keep your momentum up.

Surprised chopping the airbox actually helps the 1.8; removing the various elbows and grommets in the intake pipe kills the 2.2's low end torque.

Best of luck at your next event!

LeftofLucky

PostFri May 11, 2012 5:03 am

What a score! Seriously, well done. Not to put horrible, horrible ideas in your head, but Forester springs and dampers bolt right up to Rex's. I wonder if you could do the same with a '93 Impreza. Think of the ground clearance...
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

seat safety switch

PostFri May 11, 2012 6:05 am

LeftofLucky wrote:What a score! Seriously, well done. Not to put horrible, horrible ideas in your head, but Forester springs and dampers bolt right up to Rex's. I wonder if you could do the same with a '93 Impreza. Think of the ground clearance...
They should work fine on a '93 Impreza as the Forester is based largely on the GC Impreza (until ~2008 or so, even after the Impreza made its transition in 2002).

To use 2002+ Impreza dampers and parts you might have to slot the strut mounts to fit the different stud arrangements, but stuff like strut tops, etc all bolt straight up once that's done. Subarus are pretty Lego-y, which is nice.

I find that my stock Outback Sport springs are a pretty good balance for a rallycross Impreza. They're soft (so you can get exaggerated cartoonish movements to help you realize the weight transfer) but not too soft. Those might be a worthwhile upgrade, since you just need to take the springs over to your car and instantly get a 1" lift (the dampers seem to be identical).

CST/10

PostFri May 25, 2012 12:52 am

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

2nd place, fastest time in rally2wd. The suspension build should start next week. It'll be a hodge-podge of Outback, Forrestor suspension links and AWD parts, with 2.5RS springs.
Formally TexanIdiot25

'96 Pontiac Formula

CST/10

PostWed Jun 13, 2012 10:54 am

And suddenly, Legacy GT struts/rear hubs/brakes on Forester subframe/lateral links!

And the non-fancy photos

Formally TexanIdiot25

'96 Pontiac Formula

LeftofLucky

PostThu Jun 14, 2012 5:32 am

Stance=Nailed.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

Return to Show and Tell