Introducing to Hooniverse, nate99 and the Discovette

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

nate99

Introducing to Hooniverse, nate99 and the Discovette

PostWed May 16, 2012 8:35 am

Howdy from Houston, Texas.

Long time reader of the main page, just signed up. I figured I'd better put my hoon bona fides out there as a way of introduction.

The current project is an '81 corvette (the year of the computer controlled carburetor) pictured below. The current motif is, "less is more", having stripped out the air conditioning (should be a boon to resale on the Gulf Coast) and power steering. CCC wizardry was disabled by the prior amateur electrician of an owner, but not properly replaced. I just now have it running with Holley carb and regular HEI ignition with a 290 hp GM crate engine.

It has gone from neglected hulk in someone's barn yard (red carpet faded yellow) to something I tweak on and test drive around the block on occasion. It will get paint someday soon, then interior work, etc. etc. It's not particularly fast, but it might be someday. It's loud and gives me delusions of batman-esque gradeur.

Other hoon worthy vehicles in my past have included '91 and '94 Z28s, a '94 Ford Probe GT (underappreciated car), '86 Mustang SVO, and a '94 Bronco running 35's.

FordTempoFan

Re: Introducing to Hooniverse, nate99 and the Discovette

PostWed May 16, 2012 8:46 am

Computer controlled carburetor you say? That does not sound good..
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook
Twitter: @csdempsey

nate99

PostWed May 16, 2012 9:00 am

FordTempoFan wrote:Computer controlled carburetor you say? That does not sound good..

A one year oddity for the Corvette, but I think GM used it in other makes/models around the same time period. It wasn't overly sophisticated and allowed for mixture adjusment on the fly, but there are about four people on the planet that have the knowledge, time and patience to work out the system that also controlled the spark advance (and torque converter lockup) to only end up with a well functioning example of early 80's tech. So I'm back to mid 60's tech that is at least has a shot at being tunable by a guy that has two kids under the age of 5 (that being me).

I actually picked up the car because Camaros of the same vintage and condition were $2-3k more expensive. Even mid 70's V8 Novas were more expensive. Having been quoted some astronomical numbers for paint and body work, I now know why the late third gen corvettes can be had for so cheap.

oldcarjunkie

PostFri May 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Nice. I quite like this generation of Vette. The slot mags look good on it too.

Return to Show and Tell