It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Project Death Proof: 1978 International Scout Terra

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

LeftofLucky

Project Death Proof: 1978 International Scout Terra

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 7:10 pm

If you've been wondering why Ugly Horse has gone cold, wonder no more. Behold Death Proof: my 1978 International Scout Terra.

I've had this machine longer than anything else in the fleet. I purchased it shortly after college, and by "purchase" I mean, "worked for a guy for two days in exchange for the title." At the time, the truck had languished in a field for around two years or so. I knew the guy who drove it in high school, and it had been retired post graduation. Before that, it sat for god knows how long after serving as a finger-painting canvas for a gaggle of young girls during an eighth birthday party. Behold the shame:

Terra

The PO had left a battery in the floor board. I dropped it in, coerced the fuel pump into cooperating and drove the truck home. In the years since, it has never left me stranded. I thought I was secure enough in my manhood to drive the machine, complete with its barbie-vomit paint scheme. I wasn't. I lasted two weeks before buying a gallon of flat-black paint and going to town with a roller.

Better in the Dark by LeftofLucky

Also, I may have been inspired by Tarantino's "Death Proof." It's amazing what you can accomplish with a little patience. With the paint taken care of, I turned my attention to the mechanicals. From the factory, it came with a 304 V8 and a three-speed manual in two-wheel drive configuration. As such, it was easily foiled by challenging terrain like wet grass, vaguely loose gravel, etc. I grabbed a parts truck and swapped in a four-speed manual, two-speed transfer case and a pair of Dana 44 axles with 3.07 gears.

Fast forward two years and the already excessive rust had consumed most off the floor supports. The passenger door was barely operational, the rockers were absent from the day I took possession and the inner fenders were super shaky. Enter Levi Archambault and Old Iron Off Road. Levi Agreed to perform all of the sheet metal work on the truck in exchange for the title to Whore Truck, a 1975 IH 150 I had acquired in the intervening years. Nine trucks, lots of new galvanized metal and plenty of POR15 later, it now looks like this:

As of right now, I'm working on new bed rails, which were pretty rotten originally. Body work and paint are also on the docket soon. Stay tuned.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

Aaron Richardson

Re: Project Death Proof: 1978 International Scout Terra

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm

I helped apply that first coat of rolled-on Rustoleum and saw the thing driven to high school by the PO, complete with "RstBuck" (rust bucket) vanity plate. The paintjob it came with was ... Special. I also spent many an hour on GChat with the current owner discussing the merits of the axle swap. It's nice to see this thing back in the possession of LeftOfLucky, for whom this truck had to have been built.

Trading Whore Truck for new sheetmetal was the best automotive call I've seen you make. So far.

LeftofLucky

PostWed Jun 13, 2012 5:11 am

Aaron Richardson wrote:I helped apply that first coat of rolled-on Rustoleum and saw the thing driven to high school by the PO, complete with "RstBuck" (rust bucket) vanity plate. The paintjob it came with was ... Special. I also spent many an hour on GChat with the current owner discussing the merits of the axle swap. It's nice to see this thing back in the possession of LeftOfLucky, for whom this truck had to have been built.

Trading Whore Truck for new sheetmetal was the best automotive call I've seen you make. So far.

I couldn't agree more. I'm a little skittish of the body work, etc, but that's fine. It's fantastic to have the machine back in my hands, especially given the timing. My wife and I are celebrating our three-year anniversary today. I asked her to marry me on the truck's tailgate.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

FordTempoFan

PostWed Jun 13, 2012 8:43 am

Flat black trucks just seem right.
Tumblr-YouTube-FaceBook
Twitter: @csdempsey

spatula6554

PostWed Jun 13, 2012 10:49 am

I love the stance of these old Scouts; good luck with the resto-mod!
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

Wiremaster

PostWed Jun 13, 2012 10:51 am

I wouldn't even paint that. Just put some clearcoat/protectant and leave it. I love the character of five or six different paint schemes.

LeftofLucky

PostWed Jun 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Wiremaster wrote:I wouldn't even paint that. Just put some clearcoat/protectant and leave it. I love the character of five or six different paint schemes.

You know, if I hadn't sunk the effort into the metal, I'd probably do just that. But since we've gone this far, we might as well keep slogging. It has the potential to be a good 10 footer or so. That's as good as any Scout can ask for.

Return to Show and Tell