It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:02 am

Autocross last night in a Civic...Hybrid

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

bigev007

Autocross last night in a Civic...Hybrid

PostFri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 am

I figure I lose a lot of Hoon cred for driving a Civic hybrid, but I figured I could get some points back since I autocross it.
First in class 2 out of 3 events so far this year.
Wanted to show off some video from last night's event.

edit: Wow, this url thing is being difficult.

skitter

Re: Autocross last night in a Civic...Hybrid

PostFri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Anything driven hard is driven honorably.
Also, you would be a great source of cheesy movie sound effects.

bigev007

PostFri Jun 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks. Yeah, the tires are worn out snows, so they sound hilarious. Need to tie down the lens cap though. Also odd to hear the engine at 6000rpm the whole time I'm accelerating.

jeep_jeff

PostFri Jun 15, 2012 7:08 pm

My wife drives a 2006 Civic Hybrid (same generation as yours, I recognize your dash). I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the suspension on the Civic is about a million times more fun that any Prius. The thing is modestly fun to toss into a corner.

Are you still running the stock tires, or did you upgrade them? That would make a world of difference (both to the handling and the fuel mileage).

bigev007

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 5:19 am

It's true. In the turns it drives like a Civic EX with a bit better weight distribution. I ran the LRR firestones that were on it when I bought it and chewed the shoulders off in 4 runs. Don't want to ruin them, but can't afford new tires right now so I put my old no longer highway suitable snows on the front. They make a lot of noise but seem to have better grip than the summers. They also aren't getting chewed up after 4 faster runs. Will probably keep that setup for this year at least, then pick up something better over the winter. Maybe a rear sway bay as well.

Noticed from the video that I'm not getting full IMA on much of the run. Not sure why, but will try and figure it out.

Also, about the mileage, I'm getting about 25mpg on the track. Better than most guys get driving there. Also didn't notice a difference changing from winter to summer tires in the spring. Not sure about how effective the LRR tire really is.

Here's another from a previous event

jeep_jeff

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 11:44 am

The battery pack is in just the right spot to really balance the car.

What year do you have? They've changed the programming and setup of the IMA significantly (I think the big change was '09), and did a partial back-port of the software changes to the earlier model years. My wife's '06 was much more lively with the IMA before we got that update. Apparently that liveliness is hard on the battery packs and has been causing problems for people who drive in hot climates or stop-and-go traffic. (I have no idea how tweakable this is in the aftermarket, my wife would never go for it, she's happy with the car and would rather it be reliable than faster.)

I would expect you'd see a bigger difference between the LRR tires and high-performance tires (rather than the winter tires). I'm not surprised you chewed up the LRR tires, they're not meant to be driven in anger (I can get them to squeal on me a little too easily).

bigev007

PostSat Jun 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I have an '09, with the crap programming. Bought it used, so I kinda knew what I was in for. Don't seem to be any aftermarket tweaks at this point.
I'll pick up some performance tires next year, but I drive 60k kms a year (hence the hybrid) so I need to get another (3rd) set of wheels too.

RobbyDeGraff

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 am

green hooning
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1982 Honda CM250
1995 Saturn SL1

RobbyDeGraff

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:48 am

did you have any issue/get annoyed by the gas engine shutting off and on?
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1982 Honda CM250
1995 Saturn SL1

bigev007

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 pm

No, it only shuts off when you stop/go under 12km/h. It won't shut off with the cvt in S or L.

She isn't fast, but I am keeping up with some guys in way faster cars. I guess being able to use it is more important than having it.

Plus I got some Falken Azenis cheap to use!

jeep_jeff

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 5:50 pm

RobbyDeGraff wrote:did you have any issue/get annoyed by the gas engine shutting off and on?

That's always worked fine. If you are messing around with trying to get a good reaction time at a light, you have to learn to pop the brake pedal a beat early (thus, need to be watching the other lights, which you'd need to be looking that way anyway to track cross traffic). I have found it's possible to get on the gas too quickly and have it start up a bit roughly.

It probably wouldn't be a deal killer, but I'd rather not get another vehicle with a start-stop.

bigev007

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 8:53 am

Yeah, stop start in the HCH is miserable on the street sometimes. Hit the gas before the autobrake disengages and you get a loud thump. Really bad at 4way stops too, or other places where you only stop for a moment. Have to put it in S to stop the shutoff, then remember to go back to D.
The starters at the autocross get a kick out of me rolling up to the start line silently and then just sitting there. The timing start is 6-10' from where you start moving so getting off the line immediately. isnt a huge deal.
Next

Return to Show and Tell