The Healey: An Introduction

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Bret

The Healey: An Introduction

PostFri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 pm

I've acquired an Austin Healey 3000.
It's a cool car and so far, we're loving it. It makes awesome sounds. I'll be documenting its adventures over at StartingGrid.org.
http://startinggrid.org/2012/06/15/the-healey-an-introduction/

I'm surprised by how little information there is on these cars on the web. Maybe this is due to most Healey owners paying other folks to work on their cars? Sure, you can find plenty of pictures of pretty cars and Moss has copious parts info but there's no real analog to the Saab or Miata forums for these things.

I'm going to make it reliable(ish) and drive the hell out of it.

tbrand

Re: The Healey: An Introduction

PostSun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 pm

That's a lovely Healey! I've seen several in red, but I really think that two-tone is a great look.

LeftofLucky

PostMon Jun 18, 2012 6:30 am

That, sir, is a crushingly-gorgeous Healey. The definition of hotness.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

Bret

PostWed Jul 18, 2012 9:34 am

Here's another couple of installments in the Healey adventure. I can't describe how much fun this car is. It makes other people smile almost as much as me. I think the most fun is taking people for rides. Don't other folks share rides or "have a seat if you want a picture of you in it" with their cool cars?

Anyway, please pardon my project spam:

On the acquisition of new wheels, brake parts, and a cool hammer:
http://startinggrid.org/2012/07/18/the-healey-getting-rolling-again/

Radiator recore allows us to drive in traffic (almost)
http://startinggrid.org/2012/06/20/the-healey-radiator-recore-reduces-running-radiance/

FrankTheCat

PostWed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 am

If you're not concerned about originality, using a modern electric fan with a thermostat would be a great replacement for that turd of an inefficient viscous clutched one on your engine right now. You'd probably need an alternator/generator upgrade, but that probably wouldn't be a bad idea given that you probably have a Lucas one installed right now.

I helped my neighbor install one on his 38 Ford coupe with a flathead V8. Now he can idle through parades without it getting uncomfortably hot.

Bret

PostWed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm looking for a fan called the "Texas Cooler" to use in place of the stock 4 blade fan. The fan is bolted to the water pump pulley with no viscous clutch at all. The Texas Cooler is a 6 blade plastic thing, which should be enough to allow for traffic use.

The new radiator proved itself last Friday when I got caught in traffic for a half hour on a warm (for Seattle) day. I turned on the heater to full blast and if I kept the engine spinning at about 2500 rpm, I could keep the temperature gauge from getting above "alarming attention" levels. I really should make a shroud for the fan, that would probably help a lot.

This car is still positive ground with a generator. Once I convert to negative ground and an alternator, I'll investigate an auxiliary fan. That is, if the plastic 6 blade fan isn't enough.

boxdin

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Its a beautiful car. In 1970 I had a 1060 Healy 3000 two seater. Then it was just a ten yr old beater that needed 50 bux a week in parts to keep it going. But I did love that car. 12v positive, so the am-fm radio I liberated from the dealers parts dept was wired in to where it worked, had to have that new thing; FM... but it sparked me every time I touched it.

Dean Bigglesworth

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

I was just browsing my old car pictures and spotted this, which reminded me of this thread. I shot this at a classic car show in Sweden back in 2007.

Return to Show and Tell