It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:46 am

For road and track: Mazda MX-5 '93

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

julkinen

Re: For road and track: Mazda MX-5 '93

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm

WolfgangHimmelgeist wrote:Haha, yeah, I usually use the lastsoul nick, but when julkinen/public asked me to join here I said "yes, I can be your standard pedantic German who only speaks in technical terms" and ended up with this username... :D

I still would've preferred "Manfred Betriebsanleitung".
1991 Mazda 323F BG, 1990 Mitsubishi Sapporo E16A

WolfgangHimmelgeist

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Maybe he is the Himmelgeist's mechanic cousin?

jeremy!

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 10:05 am

wow, even a jaded resident of southern california is moved by those roads. nice photos too!

WolfgangHimmelgeist

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 10:19 am

Yeah, sadly the Finnish roads are not as epic as those in the Alps. So now when I'm back to Finland the only way to enjoy those is to do a roadtrip, which means something like 7000kms of driving...

But I'm so glad I drove them when I could :)

Scandinavian Flick

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Awesome writeup and photos! Thanks for sharing!
WolfgangHimmelgeist wrote:Sadly due to Finnish law almost any kind of engine conversion is impossible. It is already a remarkable wonder that turbo charging is possible, but even still it's legally limited to 162hp and you have to use specified components. :cry:

If anything I might swap the late 1.8 NB engine with variable valve timing, but for now the stock 115hv has to do.

Holy crap... I don't think I'll complain [as much] about California regulations anymore. Put basically; we can swap in a variety of motors from similarly classified cars, as long as it keeps the smog equipment that the source vehicle was equipped with. Regarding forced induction; there are a couple kits that are approved for the Miatas, but home-brew stuff is almost always illegal. It's actually a lot more complex than that, and there are various other restrictions regarding what can be classified as "kit cars," but that gives you an idea.

pj134

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm

The only drawn that FL has on me is their emissions law. I should say their lack thereof.

WolfgangHimmelgeist

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 9:50 am

Scandinavian Flick wrote:Awesome writeup and photos! Thanks for sharing!
WolfgangHimmelgeist wrote:Sadly due to Finnish law almost any kind of engine conversion is impossible. It is already a remarkable wonder that turbo charging is possible, but even still it's legally limited to 162hp and you have to use specified components. :cry:

If anything I might swap the late 1.8 NB engine with variable valve timing, but for now the stock 115hv has to do.

Holy crap... I don't think I'll complain [as much] about California regulations anymore. Put basically; we can swap in a variety of motors from similarly classified cars, as long as it keeps the smog equipment that the source vehicle was equipped with. Regarding forced induction; there are a couple kits that are approved for the Miatas, but home-brew stuff is almost always illegal. It's actually a lot more complex than that, and there are various other restrictions regarding what can be classified as "kit cars," but that gives you an idea.

There are some ways to swap engines, but usually it's very strict if the engine comes from a different car. So 1.8 Miata is possible etc. Turbo charging and other big modifications are also okay as long as you prove that emissions stay within regulations, and that costs about 2 000 euros a try. Even if you don't pass. :|

There are still surprisingly many highly tuned engines out there, so when there's a will there is a a way :)

Edit: The differences between countries are funny though. For example those 15" BBS wheels made for VW cars were illegal for the MX-5 in Germany. Bolt pattern, ET and everything match, but BBS documents only mention they're good for VW and that makes them illegal. :mrgreen: Luckily there's no such problems in Finland :)
Previous

Return to Show and Tell