It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm

It's a Trap! My 1967 Volvo 122S

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Han_Solex

It's a Trap! My 1967 Volvo 122S

PostSat Feb 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Actually, this picture sort of captures the entire Han Solex fleet - my '95 Miata is in the background. But back to the topic at hand - my ancient Volvo, just acquired about a month ago. Well more like saved, because my friends' cousin was going to donate it to a charity. It was a daily driver for years, until some combination of events (which are still a bit hazy to me) put it in the yard under a car cover for 3 years. And then the cousins' mom backed into the front. So it has a stylishly raked front grille. Long story short, I got it pretty much nothing provided I give it some love and get it back on the road. DEAL!

Originally this was a B18 car backed by a Borg-Warner BW35 3-speed automatic. The slushbox remains, but at some point in the distant past a B20 with dual SU HS6 carbs found its way into the engine bay. She runs very well. Fired up the first time with some fresh gas in the float bowls (which were blessedly dry while the car was stored). Runs and drives well enough for neighborhood testing, with the brakes being the only thing keeping me from taking it above 30 mph. A few tiny rust bubbles, some perished door and trunk seals, and a tired drivers seat cover are the only real blemishes other than the grille.

What's wrong with it? About 75% of my time so far has been getting the brakes back to fully operational status (involving a disassembly and cleaning of the master, and a lot of bleeding, and now diagnosing sticky front calipers - probably the lines), and the rest has been tracking down and fixing the charging system - or lack thereof. Oh, and a passenger door that won't latch, combined with a door panel that won't come off because of a glued-on window crank.

After that though, it's driveable. Down the road, I'll be swapping in a manual most likely for longer legs on the freeway, fixing the grille, and getting paint. But mostly driving it.

I have a much more detailed thread about how the progress is coming over on the Swedespeed forums, but I'll start posting updates from now going forward here too.

LeftofLucky

Re: It's a Trap! My 1967 Volvo 122S

PostSun Feb 26, 2012 6:08 am

I'll be honest, I have no love for the Swedes, but this is a thing of beauty. Seriously. Rock and roll.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

oldcarjunkie

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Looks great. Hopefully you can straighten out that grill a bit.

zsm

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 am

Okay I just saw your latest at Swede Speed. You have a split circuit. It is something some of the '67 and '68 cars had as a temporary measure before dual circuit. It explains your longer master as well. Those are rare, I know a guy with the diagrams and part numbers for it all if you need it. I just remembered you had a BW35 as well. So that's why you want to switch it?
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Scandinavian Flick

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Sweeeeeeet :D

What is it with these things and their brakes after sitting for a while? My friend has nearly the exact same car (year, model, 2-door, but a manual) and the brakes are the only thing keeping him from driving it...

Han_Solex

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 pm

zsm wrote: You have a split circuit.

Ah! That explains a few things. I was under the impression that for 122S's, "split-circuit" and "single-circuit" were pretty much the same thing. Well, at least that's better than a true single-circuit setup. A diagram might be helpful! PM me whatever you've got! Appreciate it.

zsm wrote: I just remembered you had a BW35 as well. So that's why you want to switch it?

Well, yes and no. First of all, it slips when it's hot. That may be just a loose rear band. I might be able to address that. If it was working perfectly I'd probably keep it for a little while as I pieced together parts for a manual swap. For cruising around town the auto is actually kind of period cool, but for the fuel economy and power I'd ultimately like a manual. Anyways, for the time being she seems to drive just fine up to about 35 mph with a little jockeying between L and D.

Han_Solex

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Scandinavian Flick wrote:What is it with these things and their brakes after sitting for a while?

I dunno what the deal was with your buddy's, but after sitting a while most brake systems need to be flushed out at a minimum. The only reason mine has taken a couple of weekends is because I had to pull the master cylinder to clean it out, and then I had to bleed the system. I ran out of time and it stretched out to two weekends. And then I thought the front calipers were binding, but it turned out to be just a bunch of crud on the rotors that needed to be ground off by driving for a bit. So, in retrospect, it should have only taken one (long) day to get everything sorted, but my feeling is that you don't want to take brakes for granted!

Now it stops great! My braking power is far greater than the traction provided by the skinny little tires haha.

Han_Solex

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Quick update: got out to see the car briefly today. Siphoned off about 6 gal of old gas, but couldn't get any more out even jacking the car to make the filler neck lower than the rest of the tank. That must have been most of it. Dropped in 2 gal of 92 octane unleaded, drove around a bunch. Gas coming through the inline filter is noticeably cleaner and it seems like there's less hesitation under acceleration, but maybe that's just because it got nice and warmed up. Next time I'll add even more clean, I just didn't have enough gas tanks to pull out the old gas AND add new.

Also, fixed my passenger door latching issue. Apparently the striker plate on the sill can be adjusted by loosening the three screws and moving it ... pushed it outboard a few MMs until it caught the "cowboy spur" looking part of the latch on the door. Seems to be fine now. Nice to have a door that latches firmly!

Just waiting on a title so I can get tabs and move it to my place. Need to light a fire under the PO. However, it's really nice to drive it around! I'll have to attend to the transmission soon but I'm still pretty satisfied with how this project is coming.

LeftofLucky

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 am

Progress! Just remind the PO that you just willingly bought a '67 122S. You clearly fear near evil.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

Han_Solex

PostThu Mar 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Just met with the PO and got the title signed over. As an unexpected bonus, she had two full bags of parts for me. There's too much to list, but there are 5 decent hubcaps, new door seals, distributor parts, and the old heater control valve, among other things. There's also the very cool original owners manual in very nice shape.

Also found out my B20 came out of a '71 P1800. I'm mostly saying that so I don't forget myself haha.

I'll be registering the car in my name tomorrow and it'll come home this weekend, barring anything crazy, so there will be lots more photos and updates soon.

Han_Solex

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 8:34 am

Image Image Image

Alright, the car's officially registered, insured, and made the 25 mile trek on surface streets like a complete champ. By manually shifting from L to D and back to L (a technique endorsed on the BW35 operator's insert in the original owner's manual - which I'll scan and share with whoever wants it), I kept her in 2nd gear and she was very comfortable at 45 mph. Oskar even handled a panic stop perfectly, without locking up on slick pavement. Guess I did everything OK when refreshing the brakes.

Then I piled some friends in and we took it into Ballard (home of many old round-fenders) for lunch, and after dropping them off the car got a thorough wash.

So, now that the car's resting comfortably in the garage I'm turning to some of the bigger tasks, mainly the rewiring. The more I study the wiring diagram, the more confident I'm getting that I can rewire the car. I'm going to print several copies out on extra large paper and color-code things, then start evaluating what I've got here. From some preliminary poking around, I think a few circuits have been altered, but a lot of it's intact. I'll catalog the alterations and the damaged wiring, and then replace what's necessary. So it'll probably be off the road for a bit, but I'll be a lot happier knowing the wiring is in good shape.

I got a wire brush attachment for my drill and I've started tackling the light rust in the trunk. Now it's bone dry (gotta love having a heated garage) and pretty well cleaned, so I'm going to track down some POR-15 and apply it after I've prepped the surface properly. I figure the trunk's a fine place to get some experience with this mythical substance. If i like the results, it may go on the slight rust bubbles at the bottom of the trunk lid, then primed and perhaps touched up if I can get my hands on some matched paint. Since so much of the paint is in fine shape I'm more interested in nipping the rust, but I'd like to get the repaired bits looking at least halfway decent.

More to come.

Han_Solex

PostTue Mar 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Image Image Image

Here's how this evening went: I started looking at a wire with destroyed insulation in the light harness. Hmm, that's the grey wire that goes to the foot dipper switch. Let's take a look at the switch. Pull the carpet back a bit ... oh, it's really dirty and there's a bit of rust. I'd better pull the seats and take the carpet out, just to be safe. Probably nothing, right? It's no secret this car's been out in the damp Pacific Northwest air for a while now, with some less that stellar weather sealing. But it's been in my garage for a bit now, and it's warm and dry, I assumed it would dry out.

Well, the insulation under the carpet was holding a lot of moisture. I'm really glad I thought to pull it up. Despite how nasty it looks in the photos, most of this is just scaly surface rust with good metal underneath. I poked a screwdriver accidentally through a little bit in the rear passenger footwell, and I think that's the worst part by far. Spend most of the evening scraping old tar compound (original sound deadening?) off.

Judging by what I'm seeing I think this is going to be mostly wire-brushing, prepping, and POR-15ing, like I was planning on doing with the trunk. I do need a strategy for the little (1/4") hole I've poked in the footwell. Maybe fiberglass cloth soaked in POR-15?

Bottom line is even though this isn't quite as great as having bone-dry pans, it seems like I can deal with this, and at least I am tackling it now rather than having my pans rust out entirely.
Next

Return to Show and Tell