• Author

Alcology

Re: It's a Trap! My 1967 Volvo 122S

PostSat May 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Nice work! Making progress, keep it up!

Han_Solex

PostMon May 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Finished the rewiring today after some furious work ... I think the crimper was smoking. Anyhow, I triple-checked that everything was copacetic according to the wiring diagram, that there was nothing loose hanging anywhere, and put a fire extinguisher in a friend's hands. Then, popped the battery on, and started testing. The good news is that nothing caught fire, and that pretty much everything works as expected.

The "pretty much" does not include the head and taillights per se. When I got the car, these were the circuits that were the most hacked up and abused. There was no headlight signaling relay, etc, etc. Anyways, I have weak low beams, weak highbeams, and the new headlight relay will let me flash the brights. Left rear running light works most of the time, right rear works almost none of the time. Left brake and turn signals work like a charm.

I did have to repair the brake/running light socket on the right taillight housing, and something tells me that it's still not grounding properly. I may run an additional grounding wire to some spot in the trunk. I'm also going to triple check all my connections back there.

I also suspect my light switch in the dash is not working all that well. I think I'm going to put a proper headlight relay (the 5-pin design, pulling power from the battery instead of the light switch) and see what happens. It's worth noting that I temporarily bypassed the dash lights that pull off one of the pins of the light switch, so that pin is empty. I did notice that the dash lights, after getting power from the light switch, ground to chassis ... could it be that I need to ground this switch to get it to work properly?

I clearly have some work to do ... but I'm over the hump.

Han_Solex

PostFri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 pm

I've been home sick the past few days suffering from a nasty cold, and of course bored to tears. So today as I started to feel better, I decided to head to the garage and take stock of where I'd left things. The taillight grounding issue hasn't been resolved, so no driving yet. But I did fill up the radiator, rehook the choke up, and drop the battery in. It's been about a month, maybe a little more, and so it took a fair bit of cranking, but she fired up strongly and as she warmed up settled into a nice idle with no choke.

Strangely, despite the new thermostat definitely working (don't have the radiator cap off when the thermostat opens! Ask me how I know.), the car only took about a gallon and a quarter of coolant, including filling up the overflow. I thought it took two gallons. Maybe there was some water left in the coolant jacket from flushing it. Oh well, runs nice and cool. When it is back on the road I'll keep an eye on the coolant level.

At this point, I need to get some conduit on the wiring and get it bundled up nice under the dash, finish fixing the taillight grounding issue, lightly glue the carpet in, install the seats - and that's it, in terms of getting it on the road. This has taken me longer than I wanted, but judging by everyone's reactions, I'm not doing so badly in terms of total time to get it to this point. There will be lots to do in the future on it but I just want to drive it a bit this summer! I think that's looking likely.

Han_Solex

It drives! MUAHAHAHA

PostSun Jun 10, 2012 9:47 pm

After getting the taillight sorted out (it was an issue with the running/brake socket - the socket base I put in can rotate because it doesn't have those tabs to keep it in position so I will have to fashion something to keep it in place), I realized there was no reason I couldn't try driving it. Well, not too far, because the wiring isn't wrapped up yet, and lots of things need to be finished up. But when the thought hit me, I madly started clearing out the car. All the tools, rolls of tape, etc went into a box haphazardly, then I went about bolting in just the driver's seat.

Before I knew it, I was pulling out of the garage. "Shouldn't I have checked X, and triple-checked Y, and ... ah screw it," I thought, "I'm going for it." Next thing you know, it's on the road, driving like a champ.

Only moment of excitement was when the radio - no longer held in place by the parcel shelf - liberated itself from the dash on a bump. No real harm, and that was the worst of it.

Anyways, I'm totally ecstatic that it's at least capable of road travel again! It'll need another weekend of buttoning things up, but ... it's a car again!
Previous

Return to Show and Tell