It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Fresh Meats

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Alff

Fresh Meats

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Want to put a plug in for these guys - www.treadwright.com. Just got a set for my pickup. $500 plus shipping for a set is darned affordable. Yes, they are retreads but several of my in-laws have had great success with them on work trucks. Plus, I think they look awesome and I expect my days of getting stuck in the back forty are over.

LeftofLucky

Re: Fresh Meats

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Holy hell. That's some serious tread.
"Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you." ~Chuck Palahniuk

jeep_jeff

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Those have gotten some good reviews over on JeepForum, and the A/Ts for my Jeep are 60% of a new set of, well, most anything else.

I've been shopping tires lately, I'm probably not going to get new ones any time soon, as the ones I've got on there have a lot of tread on them still, but they are getting down to not-legal-for-snow-and-ice and they're gentleman softroader shoes (Michelin XC LT4, they came with the Jeep). They served me well last winter, great ice traction and excellent highway manners (I did the haul from Oakland to Truckee many times), but now that I've got my head fixed I want to try off roading this year and it's starting to rain (finally), so one of these weekends, I'm going skiing (but the roads will likely be totally clear and I won't need my extra lever...). So I'm just window shopping for the moment and trying to figure out what I need/want.

Alright, now to thread-jack: I have the traditional new-4x4 owner problem of "What tires do I need?" I also have the traditional problems of:
  • I want something that performs well on trails
  • Something that grips well on packed ice
  • Something that does well in deep snow
  • None of the places where I'd need this performance are anywhere near me (and this is my DD, but I don't car commute), so they need to be excellent on the highway too.
  • Long tread life is also appreciated.
I also realize that all of these are contradictory. Good highway tires can be pretty impressive on ice (like my current set), but won't be all that great in deep snow and on a trail. M/Ts sound like they are good trail tires and excellent in deep snow on unpaved tracks, but are horrible on the highway, can be so-so on packed ice and they wear faster on tarmac. A/Ts sound like they aren't great at anything but are at least ok at all of these. Do I have the wrong end of the stick on this?

pj134

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Now, I never did any serious offroading because I couldn't afford to break anything, but my bfg A/Ts didn't let me down for what I did do. The prospect of 80k miles is a bonus also, but I figure you could go with the KM2's if you really want offroad performance.

Note: I'm a BFG offroad tire fan boy. I also got 32x11.5's at ~120 a tire so there's that, too.

jeremy!

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

i like this thread! and mine are also fresh
235/40/17 ;)

[also, ill return when i have my killdozer wheels, then we can keep it in line with the OP 4x4 tires]

jeep_jeff

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

pj134 wrote:Now, I never did any serious offroading because I couldn't afford to break anything, but my bfg A/Ts didn't let me down for what I did do. The prospect of 80k miles is a bonus also, but I figure you could go with the KM2's if you really want offroad performance.

Note: I'm a BFG offroad tire fan boy. I also got 32x11.5's at ~120 a tire so there's that, too.

I keep hearing BFG A/Ts come up. Millions of rednecks across the country can't all be wrong. I kid, I kid, but they seem to have the biggest following, which is a point in their favor. I may end up with a set of those, they're pretty high on my list.

Alff

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 pm

I had the BFG A/Ts on my last 4x4. They were a good compromise between offroad traction and highway driveability. Didn't get anywhere near 80K out of them but I wouldn't expect any tire to stand up to the abuse I put them through for that long.

Now that my truck is no longer my dd but it is my snow, ice, offroad and truck stuff go to, I figured I could live with the highway whine in exchange for added traction. I drive it so little that mileage expectations are irrelevant - these will age out before they wear out.

pj134

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 am

I should say that I didn't get 80k out of them either, but I sold them with about 10k on them and they were down about 1/32. The receptionist at the dealership had them on her XJ and had around 70k on them when they were looking almost worn out. They're just a good all around tire.

Mad_Science

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 10:55 am

jeep_jeff wrote:I keep hearing BFG A/Ts come up. Millions of rednecks across the country can't all be wrong. I kid, I kid, but they seem to have the biggest following, which is a point in their favor. I may end up with a set of those, they're pretty high on my list.

Running 32x11.50 on my Wagoneer, but it came with them.

My family's run BFG ATs on all of our non-hardcore 4x4s since the mid-90s. They're not too loud, last decently long if maintained (inflation/rotation/alignment) and are leaps and bounds better than any other kinda-offroad-y truck tire once things get serious.

I wouldn't recommend them for a truck that sees regular mud. They're better than typical tires, but just barely.
"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If like gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."
You may remember me from such posts as...

Ssurfer321

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 pm

jeep_jeff wrote:Alright, now to thread-jack: I have the traditional new-4x4 owner problem of "What tires do I need?" I also have the traditional problems of:
  • I want something that performs well on trails
  • Something that grips well on packed ice
  • Something that does well in deep snow
  • None of the places where I'd need this performance are anywhere near me (and this is my DD, but I don't car commute), so they need to be excellent on the highway too.
  • Long tread life is also appreciated.

I'm on my 2nd set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for my F150 (33"x12.5"). Absolutely love them. Excellent dry/wet/snow traction. Low road noise. Great in the mud. Moderately priced. Only downside is treadlife. 30-40k is all I've heard guys get on them. I got 38k out of my last pair but should have replaced them sooner. Just be careful with the width, as they can float in deep snow.
2005 F150 STX 4x4
2" AS leveling kit
33" Nitto TG
17" ProComp Forged wheels
Airlift helper bags at rear
EDGE tuned
PIAA lights

needthatcar

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm always amazed at how much better a car looks with new tires.

JayP

PostWed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 pm

needthatcar wrote:I'm always amazed at how much better a car looks with new tires.

And smells better too...
Thanks for the tip. 15" tires are getting rare and retreads are worth considering.

Return to Show and Tell