It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Upgrade!

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Volvo_Nut

Upgrade!

PostSun Feb 03, 2013 10:21 am

When faced with $$$ worth of repairs/rebuild on a 23 year old Volvo 240, the only appropriate response it to purchase a less needy 22 year old Volvo 740.
Here's the new daily driver. 1991 740, having been driven only 90k(!), leather seats, and a Swedish Yakuza vibe to it, kinda menacing in a restrained and polite way. If I could get away with limo black on the windows I would. But in the mean time, just having a car with front seats that haven't disintegrated to the frame is a wonderful.

dead_elvis

Re: Upgrade!

PostSun May 19, 2013 11:08 pm

I realize the question might be moot at this point, but what are you doing with the needy 240? It is a couple years newer than mine ('87), so I figure it might be a move up, about a half-step below what you did w/buying a 740.

Details & location, if it's available?

jibduh

PostMon May 20, 2013 2:02 pm

More details! More Pictures!

the 'x'40s take a place in my casual craigslisting, they pop up every now and then, but I'm holding out for a decent looking manual.
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Volvo_Nut

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 2:26 am

I'm up to 95k miles now, the hooptie runs like a champ, and drives like it's forged from a single hunk of metal. I had to replace a crank position sensor, which is the first time I have brought a car back from a no-start situation all by my lonesome. I had my mechanic replace both the send and return fuel lines, they had disintegrated from 22 years of western pa road salt. The rear windshield was leaky, fixed that.
As soon as the money gods remember that I am alive, I am going to get the side windows tinted. Don't want to screw up the 700 dollar rear windshield, the defroster is embedded in the glass in such a way that it's not really noticeable, so to avoid more broken heating elements I'm going to leave it clear. And I don't want to give the po-po a reason to pull me over. :twisted:
I bought the car from a nice older couple, who had 2 other volvos in their driveway. The car lived in the city of Pittsburgh for most of it's life, so it's got "old people driving into shit" dents and dings all over it. I will probably replace the passenger side doors, they both have a nice wrinkle and scrape from the previous owners dragging the car against a a telephone pole.
I'm still digging pine needles out from just about anywhere a pine needle can hide, as well as trying to get all of the gunk that is stuck between the seats and the center console. It looks like someone had a food fight down there, and then tried to cover it up with a light coating of sticky.
I'm going to rock the steelies for a bit because it looks badass. (weekend to do is clean and paint the wheels black)

(and yes, that is a 242 turbo behind it in the pic)

Volvo_Nut

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Holy crap, 2200+ views? Do you guys really want to hear the ongoing story? I'll string all of these together for a long blog post at http://www.geekforce.com.
Anyway, today I blew a radiator hose at 8th street and Rt.65 in Ambridge. I found a safe place to pull over, at a meter. I popped the hood and popped 45 centts in the meter. Opened the hood all the way to see this.
The meter had an hour and a half on it, so I closed everything back up and walked down the street to grab a gatorade. On the way back I remembered the radiator hose from my old 240 that I had in my trunk. I let heater run while I figured out how to make the hose fit. Remove old hose, cleaned thermostat housing, a quick slice (you only get one!), and I was back on my way. I only had about 1/2 a gallon of coolant, so I drove very gingerly to get more coolant. It's running fine now.

Volvo_Nut

PostFri Aug 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Here's the final product. The knife was a gift from a very good friend. This was the first time that I have used it.
For some reason the image didn't show up in the above post.

Return to Show and Tell