It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:43 am

So that's what the dude meant when he said "Core Charge"

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

jeep_jeff

So that's what the dude meant when he said "Core Charge"

PostMon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah. This is how you know I'm a noob. I just learned what a core charge was. CCH doesn't charge it up front, instead they give you 30 days to send your old head in. That wasn't made clear to me over the phone. I believe the gentleman who assisted me assumed that I'd know what "core charge" meant since I was changing out my own cylinder head... Probably a reasonable assumption, and handing out a lecture on it every time someone called annoys the normal clientele (people who know what they're doing), and it's easy enough to just refund the $100 when doofuses like me get clued in to industry standard practice.

Anyway, that meant bagging up my old head and prepping it for shipping. You should read this as: throwing it in the old box and duct taping the sheeee-it out of it. In a fit of whimsy, I left an easter egg for the guys who get to unbox it when it gets down to Florida:

pj134

Re: So that's what the dude meant when he said "Core Charge"

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 am

I like the subliminal "F NY" in there.

jeep_jeff

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Is my hand writing really that bad?

pj134

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 8:07 pm

... probably not, but there is an F and an N that looks like the Yankee's logo.

Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of NY...

smokyburnout

PostTue Feb 28, 2012 8:19 pm

If you write in a pathetic plea for mercy and also mention that you've been a loyal customer for years, there are retailers who will extend the 30 day core return deadline by months. Something to keep in mind before you order rebuilt parts in the dead of winter. Ask me how I know!

Alcology

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 am

That show was awesome, I'm going to have to find repeats somewhere. It took me a bit to figure out the core charge with brake calipers, but luckily I didn't have to mail them anywhere.

jeep_jeff

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm

smokyburnout wrote:If you write in a pathetic plea for mercy and also mention that you've been a loyal customer for years, there are retailers who will extend the 30 day core return deadline by months. Something to keep in mind before you order rebuilt parts in the dead of winter. Ask me how I know!

They're actually being pretty cool about it. The 30 days was just to keep them from making the initial charge. As soon as they get the head, they'll refund my card, so it's no big deal. (They being: Clearwater Cylinder Head, and I definitely have had a good experience with them.)

Return to Show and Tell