It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Should I keep my F-150?

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Serow

Should I keep my F-150?

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Hello! I'm new to the forum but I've posted in comments a few times. I'm a senior in high school. I'm trying to decide whether to keep a 1980 F-150 that my Dad and I have been working on or if its time to admit defeat and get rid of it. We bought the a year ago from my dads boss. (He works at a small family owned hardware store.) He sold it for $300 which maybe should have been a red flag. He claimed the pickup ran and had been used as a farm truck for many years. Unfortunately, the truck quit running halfway to our house. It hasn't stayed running for more than 4 blocks at a time since then. We traced the problem to the fuel system. After replacing the fuel pump and bypassing the switch for the dual tanks we checked the gas tank and realized the tanks were absolutely filled with rust. It was to the point of plugging a fuel filter within 10 minutes of replacing it. A new tank is about $100 dollars. The engine is a 351m with over 100,000 miles so the fear is that if we put $1000 dollars into it, it might be a really nice $500 dollar pickup. The best reason to try to fix it is because my only other option for a vehicle is an 05 Taurus which doesn't exactly excite me.
So, fellow hoons, should I keep it and try to get it running? Or should I save myself the grief and drive the Taurus, even though it has the wrong number of pedals?

Marcal

Re: Should I keep my F-150?

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm

I can guarantee that the 302 will get you well past 200,000 if you take care of it. I would fix the truck, if I were you.

I would recommend you go to the forums over at fordf150.net and get some more specific advice. They've helped me several times since I bought 92 F-150 two years ago.
"A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all."

FrankTheCat

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 4:27 pm

get the tanks boiled out at a shop, and line then with the POR15 kit if they don't have any pinholes.

that truck will go forever and ever and ever.

Serow

PostThu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Dang it! Stop encouraging me. I was looking for someone to talk some sense in to me and tell me to get rid of it. Did I mention the Brakes don't work? And it was owned by a farmer? Maybe this was the wrong forum if I wanted someone to tell me to be practical.

Marcal

PostFri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 am

Brakes are easy. Farm truck just means it's been used the way it was intended - no harm, no foul.

Alcology

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 5:37 am

FrankTheCat wrote:get the tanks boiled out at a shop, and line then with the POR15 kit if they don't have any pinholes.

that truck will go forever and ever and ever.

Yes! This is pretty cheap to do as well.

Alcology

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 5:39 am

As you posted in last call that you were looking for something for college, and you have this already, try to focus on getting this one running. So pump some money into it, if you can at least get it running and you don't want it, sell or trade it for something you do want.

Serow

PostSun Oct 20, 2013 9:57 pm

Thank for the advice everybody! I think I'll keep it and see if I can get it running. It's not like I have much money into it anyway. Alcology, the questions about a car for college were probably wishful thinking anyway. I'll be taking the '05 Taurus with 90,000 miles to college, methinks.

EDIT: I'll post some more pictures and some more info soon to justify this being on the show and tell subforum.

Serow

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Here's the truck. It has a dent on the door where a cow leaned on it. Some rust but not too bad.

Its a stick shift, 2 wheel drive. 351m engine.

It still has the original bill of sale. It cost $8370 in 1980 when it was new.

It has over 100,000 miles. You don't need a key because the passenger door lock is completely removed and the ignition is broken and doesn't need a key. It doesn't currently run because both gas tanks are rusty enough to plug the fuel filter in five blocks.
The brakes don't work at all. It was exciting towing it back a few times as it required going down a steep hill.
On the bright side, the AM radio works perfect.

Marcal

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 8:22 pm

That's a nice rig you got. Get those tanks (and fuel lines) cleaned up, put some new brakes on it, and enjoy it another 150,000 miles.

Return to Show and Tell