68 Mustang.... mostly

Project cars, modifications or other general showoff

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Beau M

68 Mustang.... mostly

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello all, brand new here.

I started listening to the podcasts a few episodes ago and really enjoy them.

Anyway, here is my junk. It's a 1968 Mustang with a late 80's SVO Mustang drivetrain. 2.3 turbo, 5-speed. Runs on a Megasquirt ECU. It also has the rear end out of an Explorer ( 8.8, trac lock, discs) and a bunch of other questionable mods done by me. It gets up and goes pretty good, it made 200hp and 270ftlbs on the dyno. But, that's not qute enough for me any more.

The car is going back under the knife this winter. It originally came with an inline 6 and automatic, and I am going back to that. Except this time, I'm going 2JZGTE with a single turbo. I'm REALLY going to piss off the purists after that. :)

Pics are worth 1000 words:

If you have some time, patience, and beer, here is my super long build thread.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vinta ... coupe.html

neight428

Re: 68 Mustang.... mostly

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 5:40 am

I had a 1986 SVO for a while. That thing gave me fits trying to keep it running right, only some of which were self inflicted.

You seem to be handy with a wrench. That Toyota I-6 is a honey of an engine, but I am still waiting to see someone swap a 3.5L Ecoboost V6 from an F150 in to a light RWD car.

daciaa6

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 am

Last edited by daciaa6 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beau M

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks! I just got an alert someone replied, I suppose I should post an update.

2JZGTE is bolted in. The first two turbos (holset and borg-warner) I tried didn't fit, they hit the shock tower. I ended up spending way more than I budgeted on a nice Turbonetics unit, which fits and looks great.

Right now I'm dealing with a lot of plumbing issues. Air conditioning lines, vacuum lines, Intercooler piping, radiator hoses, transmission cooler lines, exhaust downpipe, wastegate dump, etc etc. My radiator and intercooler are at the welders ( I can't do aluminum) for some modifications, hoping to get those back soon.

Once all of that is done I will probably move on to some wiring.

Almost every nut and bolt has been an ass pain so far, which is to be expected. But, a few things have turned out better than expected.

1. I found out that a Hurst ratchet shifter has the correct shift spacing to control the Toyota a34e transmission. That required minimal fabrication to hook up.

2. I bought a cheap ebay stainless steel downpipe meant for a Supra and it fits beautifully. I still need to plumb in my wastegate dump, but that saved a lot of time and headache.

3. The motor mounts were fairly easy to fabricate, and the motor as a whole fits the engine bay beautifully. I have about an inch of clearance with each shock tower. The way the oil pan sump clears the sway bar and steering linkage, it's like the engine was meant to live there.

4. The stock engine harness is the perfect length to run along the firewall and enter through the hole left from deleting the heater motor. I have removed the stock heater box as I am running an under dash AC-Heater combo unit. That frees up a LOT of room under the dash to mount things like the ECU, AEM Piggyback, wiring distribution blocks, relays, stuff like that.

Oh, I also got my Saturn Vue electric power steering motor grafted into the 68 column and installed. That was a fun project, I hate doing work up under the dash. It's not wired up yet, but I will have adjustable assist electric power steering when done, and being able to ditch the traditional pump/lines/reservoir/steering ram is AWESOME.

Back to the garage!

-Beau

HooniverseJeff

Co-Founder

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Dear god, I wish this car lived in California... I NEED to drive it!
"If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower..."
– Mark Donohue

Beau M

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 2:26 pm

Maybe you will Jeff. :) One of the big reasons for this swap is reliability. If it performs well for the first part of the summer, I'm thinking of taking a road trip down to LA. Probably bounce over to the 101 near San Fran or something. My wife wants to go to Disneyland with some friends, I want to see things I hear about on the podcasts. I want to get a picture of my car in front of Carollas Gulf garage (if they will let me), maybe schedule it so Matt can do a one take, that kind of thing. I'll post in here if it happens, if you are around when I'm down there then yeah, you can drive it. Don't expect a lot of refinement, I'm a self-taught desk jockey that plays with cars for therapy :)

2.3 number is changing to 68.

My tiny ass garage where I do all the work:

HooniverseJeff

Co-Founder

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Let me know...

Jeff@Hooniverse.com
"If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower..."
– Mark Donohue

Beau M

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 7:08 am

Getting closer!

Finally off the jack stands. It goes in to get the exhaust work done tomorrow, then I need to get the AC system filled. Then about 1000 other small things, like putting the kick panels back in and getting new decals made.

Coil cover is off in that pic, it is with the painter right now getting shot in the same blue as the car.

:D

Return to Show and Tell