It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 am

Need some ideas

Show off your setup or look for tips on how to cram two Starlets and a Pinto indoors where the HOA can't find them

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

HooniverseJeff

Co-Founder

Need some ideas

PostMon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 pm

So my friend Tom with the Firebird just got approval from the wifey to fix up the garage.

He and I are thinking walls, storage and flooring are the immediate first steps.

Let's say you had $1,000 to play with, what would you go with?
"If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower..."
– Mark Donohue

Alcology

Re: Need some ideas

PostMon Mar 26, 2012 2:37 pm

I would save the $1000 for an air compressor and other tools and spend time on craigslist "free" section or at the town recycling center and get as much raw material as you can haul to build benches and shelving. If the floor isn't crumbling cement, just leave it. It's just going to get covered in fluids anyway. If it's cold there, maybe insulate the walls and just slap up some plywood and buy a heater. I like to look at garagejournal but I don't think I would go to garagejournal lengths to get useable workspace

Alcology

PostMon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Thinking it over a little more. Disregard what I said about the floor. It might be a good idea to seal it if it isn't messed up. If you want to get fancy you could even to some acid staining on it before the seal job. Good cement seal is pretty cheap and you can do it yourselves in a weekend.

HooniverseJeff

Co-Founder

PostMon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Alcology wrote:I would save the $1000 for an air compressor and other tools and spend time on craigslist "free" section or at the town recycling center and get as much raw material as you can haul to build benches and shelving. If the floor isn't crumbling cement, just leave it. It's just going to get covered in fluids anyway. If it's cold there, maybe insulate the walls and just slap up some plywood and buy a heater. I like to look at garagejournal but I don't think I would go to garagejournal lengths to get useable workspace

He already has tools and a compressor... We are strictly looking at walls and flooring for the given budget. Good call though on the compressor otherwise...
"If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower..."
– Mark Donohue

Alcology

PostMon Mar 26, 2012 4:00 pm

That's actually nice then to have a straight up 1k budget for everything. If you want metal cabinets there are good auctions in your area for that type of storage.

HooniverseJeff

Co-Founder

PostMon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Alcology wrote:That's actually nice then to have a straight up 1k budget for everything. If you want metal cabinets there are good auctions in your area for that type of storage.

I believe the plan is to go relatively cheap with wooden cabinets... however, the auction is a great idea.
– Mark Donohue

pj134

PostTue Mar 27, 2012 8:27 am

I'd say epoxy the floor and get some build your own workbench kits. You add the lumber, but that isn't such a bad deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030T ... 8NVT33PAM1

There are cheaper ones too. As for the walls, depending on look, black peg board might work and look a bit cleaner than the regular brown stuff.

1969PMD

PostTue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 am

Hello all, this is tom thats going to be working on the garage.

I can build all the cabinets/benches myself. Going to use the cheapest lumber i can find and do the building to save some $. Found a cheap all wood counter top at Ikea for $59.00. Even with that the cost of the bench/cabinets should be under $200. Hopefully that includes the hardware for the doors.

Any thoughts on these floors? I want to actually cover the floor and not paint/stain it.

http://www.garageflooringinc.com/rolls/ ... rolls.html

Thanks -Tom

Alcology

PostTue Mar 27, 2012 11:20 am

Oh yeah, another thought. If you have a bench grinder or are planning on getting one, make sure you have a spot to mount it to the floor or bolt your workbench with the grinder to the wall

spatula6554

PostWed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am

Some preliminary questions here....

1 - Does it get cold enough to warrant a radiant floor heating system or any other sort of heating system? I understand that this is not floors or walls but if seasonal needs warrant a heating system, it would be a major selling point for future potential home buyers.
2 - What is the current status of the floor and walls? Cement and bare studs?
3 - Your post mentioned looking at tiles, rolls or something similar; is a 2 part epoxy coating with DIY application out of the question?

I would recommend ArmorClad Epoxy. I know that you are looking for tiles or rolls or whatnot, but with this, you seal out moisture with easy application, less worrying about whether or not you have ordered enough, it is relatively inexpensive and seems to hold up well. Plus you can customize it for the look you want.
http://www.armorcladepoxy.com/index.html

Walls would be hanging storage for oft-used tools. It is so nice to just have your most vital tools on-hand and easily accessible for anyone in the garage without giving them directions through a toolbox.

Another thought would be a small area for a powdercoating oven or paint booth. Slightly larger capital investment (or time if you want to fashion your own) but you would make a lot of new friends and it would pay for itself.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

spatula6554

PostWed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 pm

What was the final verdict?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

Alff

PostWed Apr 18, 2012 1:24 pm

When it came time to build benches and shelving more my wife's design studio (think garage workshop but fill it with flowers instead of car stuff) I bought several bundles of rejected (mostly warped) lumber from the side of Lowe's. Didn't matter to me since I was going to rip it on the table saw and cut it into short lengths. $40 got me enough for 16' of workbench with shelving underneath and another 8' of tall shelving.
Next

Return to Actual Garages