It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Project Garage Heaven

Show off your setup or look for tips on how to cram two Starlets and a Pinto indoors where the HOA can't find them

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

vwminispeedster

Project Garage Heaven

PostTue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Howdy Hoons! I've got the OK from my wonderful wife to improve the garage (Project Kitchen Hell was last year and is now totally awesome) so that we can increase storage in the rafters then run power back to the garage which will allow me to finish Project Speedster Hell. This weekend I start with adding joists across the width of the garage and then top them with OSB (not plywood as I dont care about the finish and is a few bucks cheaper). I am going to add one of those retractable ladders so that we don't have to tempt fate with a fold up ladder each time we crawl up there to get holiday decorations or whatever else we want out of site and out of mind.

Once the above storage is done I will re-run outlets throughout the space. I'm running 220V out to a new sub panel so I can eventually get a welder out there. Re-do the lights and add some of my Dad's 1950's Benjamin lights for "olde-timey-ness" and then work on beer bottle display shelves. When I'm not blowing my money on car stuff I drink it away on good beer I buy or make. I am so glad to live in a neighborhood with several home brewers that I can learn from and see how amazing stuff can be made so simply. (OFF TOPIC SOMEONE NEEDS TO START A HOME BREW THREAD BECAUSE I KNOW A CERTAIN JEFF G., NAH LETS CALL HIM J. GLUCKER, PARTAKES IN HOMEMADE ADULT SODAS. BACK ON TOPIC) Once power and lights are run everywhere I am going to sheath the walls in plywood (smoother than OSB but a few bucks more) so I can hang stuff almost anywhere I want. I am going to map where the studs are just in case but plywood will be so much better than drywall. No insulation as I live in Oaktown, CA and weather is not really an issue. Final detail will be the floor but I'll wait on that. I think I'm going to go fancy pants plastic swistrax or the like but who knows. that'll wait until next year. This year i have plenty to work on and blow my money on (garage storage, power, lights and walls, full 24hr LeMons race at Buttonwillow, 4 days of "reconnaissance" at Bonneville, and a bunch of Seconds Saturdays at everyone's favorite 93 year old garage in Oakland.

Please comment and tell me "you're doing it wrong", "why aren't you doing XYZ instead of ABC", "where do you live so I can help you and enjoy some of your homemade beer" and most importantly make sure this project doesn't turn into a 7 year event like the Speedster has. Photos will be taken this weekend. Wish me luck.

vwminispeedster

Re: Project Garage Heaven

PostTue Apr 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Forget about the beer thread. I just found "The Great Hooniverse Beer Swap". I knew I could count on you folks.

Stu_Rock

PostMon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Sounds like fun. A piece of advice: install more electrical outlets than you think you need. When I moved into my house, there were just two outlets in the garage (which is really a laundry room/workshop). Over the course of two projects, I increased that to five. But I was still using a ton of powerstrips, so two months ago, I put in six more. Now, with 11 duplex receptacles, I finally feel like I have "enough." For now.

I think a duplex receptacle every 4 ft is good in a garage. If there's a workbench, have a bank of four duplex receptacles there.

In my old garage in Wisonsin, all the wiring was NM cable. I am not a fan of exposed NM wiring, so I used EMT here. I love EMT in garages. It's easy to work with, and with nice straight lines and sweeping bends, the industrial appearance is great.

Devin

PostMon Apr 30, 2012 2:00 pm

You can never have too many outlets!

I say this as the owner of a 100 year-old house, which doesn't have enough outlets, and the locations of the ones it does have only make sense to the person who installed them.

vwminispeedster

PostMon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 pm

First weekend went pretty well and the first two 4x8s of plywood fit snug up top. Ive had to add some more bracing than I planned for from the beam spanning the width as the 2x4s deflected more then I would have liked. No worries. Just add a 1x4 here and there and all is well. 2 more weekends of this and we should be in business.

I'll be putting receptacles in the attic so I can plug in drop lights and move them and not worry about hitting a light bulb up there or it taking up precious inches of storage space. I might add a vent and a solar fan as it gets hotter than a mother up there. Down on the ground I'll be putting a bunch of 15A breakers and at least two locations to plug in 220v for a future welder. I think I'll have duplex breakers on every other stud to accommodate any sort of layout or rearrangement I do. Once all the crap is upstairs I can get a better idea of how I want to finish the garage layout. Photos to come soon.

jeremy!

PostTue May 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Devin wrote:You can never have too many outlets!

I say this as the owner of a 100 year-old house, which doesn't have enough outlets, and the locations of the ones it does have only make sense to the person who installed them.

ive got one outlet on each wall. and i still needed to buy a 14 outlet power strip. and lots of extension cords...

vwminispeedster

PostMon May 07, 2012 7:13 am

2nd weekend went well. Got the rest of the 2x4s and "floor" in place. Just have to trim some stuff before screwing it down. I keep forgetting to take a bunch o photos so maybe next weekend I'll have something to show.

vwminispeedster

PostWed May 16, 2012 6:19 am

Achievement Unlocked: retractable ladder installed last night. Just need to cut it to the proper height and I'm good to go to start storing my crap out of sight. Final touches will be power for lights and indoor/outdoor carpet so that I don't tear up my knees from the plywood.

Return to Actual Garages