It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:34 pm

to pit or not to pit.

Show off your setup or look for tips on how to cram two Starlets and a Pinto indoors where the HOA can't find them

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

jeremy!

to pit or not to pit.

PostTue May 22, 2012 7:51 am

this question was asked on facebook a day ago. started growing so i figured i would move it to a move public venue.

i am toying with the idea of constructing, or having someone construct an inspection pit. after fighting my low-pro jack and stands last weekend i realized more than half the time i spent working on my car was actually just raising and lowering it.
and after i got about 8-10 inches of space under my miata i enjoyed rolling around in dirt and dead grass...

so i thought and inspection pit would be nice. i have a space behind my garage that would be prime for such a thing, and i could park a car on top of it when im not using it. it would be more stable than a 2 post lift [while i really like the idea, i dont like the idea in a seismic zone], and would not require a new garage. someone told me about a harbor freight scissor lift, but that would be an obstacle for most under car work and would break my first rule of harbor freight: dont buy anything with moving parts that is important.

also, im not thinking about a full height pit. i dont need to have lou ferrigno fitting down there. im thinking 4 feet would be plenty deep for me to sit on a roller stool and poke about. laser alignment rack working height would be perfect.

would need a pump of some sort, and some sweet led strip lights... and a cover.

thoughts?

ZomBee Racer

Re: to pit or not to pit.

PostTue May 22, 2012 12:38 pm

May I present to you, venomous pit-viper ice cream.

engineerd

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 12:55 pm

If you have the room, do it!

After doing the suspension on the Jeep, I decided my next house needs to have a pole barn (so I can keep working after it gets dark) with a lift. Yes, this is a need, not a want.

You should be able to build it in a way that you could cover it with some steel or aluminum plate when you're not using it.

jeremy!

PostThu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 pm

yah i have decided that i really want to do it. i am going to need to re-build my driveway at some point, so i will have to get a concrete truck. so... might as well use all of it. the only issue left is how the city will take to the idea.

skitter

PostFri Jul 06, 2012 7:39 am

As far as depth, don't just consider clearance. You want to be able to comfortably put muscle behind something as well. Maybe it could even be stepped or have a seat built in.

Manic_K

PostTue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Build pit into your garage floor, if you can. Make it say 4 ft. deep and long enough to be able to work on one axle/half a car. To lower the risk that you drive into your pit you could put L- shape angle iron profiles to upper horizontal corner where side wall meets garage floor and cut right size 2x4 pieces (or other timber with height equal to inner side height of said L-profile and strong enough for a car weight) so that said planking and garage floor are on the same level and you could drive on them carelessly. You need miniature rented bobcat excavator to get this done.....and some concrete from that truck.

RobbyDeGraff

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 am

Do it! I'd just worry about if your garage is on an incline and it rains :o
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1982 Honda CM250
1995 Saturn SL1

35mm

PostSun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Pits can be dangerous, falling in and accumulation of fumes.

I have heard that your home owners insurance will be very against the idea and it probably will not pass code.

Would be nice though.

Okierover

PostFri Nov 08, 2013 8:47 am

Worth every penny.
Here in tornado alley it is prudent to have a storm shelter installed in or near your home. After watching yet another tornado rip through Moore (we live about 10 miles from there) we decided to buy an oil change pit, errr, storm shelter.
Image is too big to display here.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/-LvTe_hqM-vQ/Uj4L-sJ4ASI/AAAAAAAACzY/HFNES1KVXWM/s1600/20130921_143639_1.jpg
A link to my blog post about the oil change pit.
Okierover.com
A blog about living and owning a Land Rover in Oklahoma.
1993 Range Rover LWB

Return to Actual Garages