It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:41 am

The I spotted today thread

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

NoKetchup

Re: The I spotted today thread

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:44 am

Scandinavian Flick wrote:I saw one of those at a local car show... It really was amazing. With all the incredible cars at the show, I think I spent the most time pouring over every detail of it. It truly fascinated me.

EXACTLY! He was definitely the ugly duckling of the show but as far as I am concerned, the best prepped ride of the show... My cell cam cannot capture that properly. But what gave me the warm fuzzies was because of websites like this, I knew glancerary about the car, these guys ran a great story with fantastic follow-up comments, and good enough that you do some followup reading, and then to see an amazing example in the wild to run through that mental checklist with... You end up with a very rewarding experience.

Devin

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 1:19 pm

On a Nissan Altima parked behind the Drug Paraphernalia store, two bumper stickers:

Sticker 1: got high?
Sticker 2: Proud Grandparent of a [Local High School] Honor Student.

I appreciated the contrast and the breaking down of stereotypes.

Bret

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 am

I saw a Street Parked Rotary Pickup...

Go here for more pics, it's a handsome little truck.
http://startinggrid.org/2012/09/07/street-parked-repu/

Dean Bigglesworth

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 am

I saw this original looking unspoilt Integra Type-R today.

Devin

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 1:10 pm

So the guy across-ish the alley at work has an upholstery shop. Yesterday he was doing stuff to a Meteor.

Meteor by thatguywiththestuff, on Flickr

jeep_jeff

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 2:47 pm

So, I'm a Jeep guy, which means I'm pretty sure means it's a misdemeanor violation of Federal Law to ogle this, but Oh. Hells. Yes.

I actually first saw this Defender a couple weeks ago, but I was with a group of friends and didn't have a chance to stop for pictures. On Sunday, I found myself on top of the same hill (near one said friend's apartment) in San Francisco and snapped a couple pictures.

One reason I was particularly excited about this find is because on the way to Buttonwillow for Arse-Sweat-a-Palooza, this happened:

But now that I can look at the pictures side-by-side, they appear to be different trucks (compare the bumpers, snorkel and lightbar; you may also notice I didn't have to blot out any license plates from the rest-stop picture... Oops). So there are at least two Land Rover Defenders in California wearing PMY, and damn, do they look good.

pj134

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 am

There is a PMY Defender in my humble town in the Southeastern corner of PA as well.

Dean Bigglesworth

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 9:18 am

I spotted this Excursion yesterday, might not be that uncommon in the states but I see one maybe once every two years.. Assuming 12MPG and 1,57€/litre for diesel, it would cost me about 3800EUR in fuel with a modest 12.000km a year.

Not a car, but i thought it was cool anyway. Last week I spotted the The National Geographic Explorer moored in Tallinn, Estonia.

Here it is helping the Clelia II in the drake passage.

pj134

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 am

We don't really see excursions over here too often either. Under 200k sold in the US means not widely dispersed.

The F150 sold more per quarter over the 5 years the Excursion was sold than the Excursion did in it's entire life.

jeep_jeff

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Dean Bigglesworth wrote:I spotted this Excursion yesterday, might not be that uncommon in the states but I see one maybe once every two years.. Assuming 12MPG and 1,57€/litre for diesel, it would cost me about 3800EUR in fuel with a modest 12.000km a year.

As PJ noted, they aren't terribly common here. I see them occasionally, but more on the once-per-month time scale rather than less than yearly.

However, I didn't believe the 12MPG would be for the diesel. After a bit of googling, the gasoline powered V10 Modular engine looks like it gets 10/13 city/highway, and the diesel is closer to 20 (on par or a little better than my Jeep). Assuming 18MPG (13L/100km) and your 1.57€/L for diesel, it's closer to €2500/year in fuel.

Now, it's actually about on par with my Jeep for mileage. I pay around $4 for gas these days. 12,000km is around 7500mi*, at 15MPG for my Jeep, I would have a fuel cost of $2000/year, or €1500/year, a full €1000 less than the diesel Excursion in Europe. Gas over here is cheap.

* I only drive around 5000mi per year, since I refuse to drive to work. This is one of the ways I justify a vehicle with a large, inefficient lump of Detroit iron under the hood.

Ok, after that little excursion from the main topic, we should probably go back to posting pictures or switch to another thread...

Dean Bigglesworth

PostSat Sep 22, 2012 3:35 am

Huh, i didn't check the specs but then it gets much better mileage than the Suburban and Econoline diesels a couple of friends drive. The suburban has some larger tires, though.

And to keep this relevant, here's a row of RS5s from a few weeks back. I have to dig up some of my older shots of street parked cars..

Devin

PostThu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

IMG_1932 by thatguywiththestuff, on Flickr

I hope this color doesn't catch on.
PreviousNext

Return to The Driveway