It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:22 pm

The I spotted today thread

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

FrankTheCat

Re: The I spotted today thread

PostSat Oct 20, 2012 3:24 pm

I went into town today to get coffee and bagels with my girlfriend, and on our walk to the coffee shop we saw this fine piece of French engineering:

There was a Mercedes C230 Kompressor three cars behind it, but we had already gotten enough weird looks for taking pictures of a refrigerator-white sedan...

Froggmann

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 am

I have to admit I've been in a bit of a dry spell, nothing truly unique seen although it seems like what I see as the norm isn't really the norm much anymore, as evidenced by the early 90's GMC and the Excursion.

But yesterday, the stars fell in perfect sync, the planets aligned and I think I saw a few cats and dogs co-habitating in peace... Anyways you get the picture. Two of these were in the same parking lot at a local BBQ place. I have a hunch the Falcon Wagon belongs to one of the bus boys, he always drives in in something interesting. Squarebacks, notchbacks, even a VW fastback. Even though this is a Ford it's not something I don't see him driving.

What's that yellow brick of awesome in the background you ask? It's a Street Van, see it says so on the fender!

Froggmann

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 10:19 am

And then I went to the junkyard...

As I said, perfect alignment...

jeep_jeff

PostMon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Library Edition Today! I went to the library in search of bicycle maintenance books. I've always kind of done bike maintenance by feel, and I feel kind of dumb doing things like rebuilding driveshafts and swapping cylinder heads on my Jeep, but when my bike needs a new shift cable and the derailleur is out of tune? :oops: So, time to do a little research and then snag something off of Amazon after seeing what the library has.

But! We're on Hooniverse. Guess what's on the same shelf as Bike Maintenance? Three guesses. First two don't count.

First I saw this:

Then, I grabbed this picture for FTF:

The didn't have a lot of Chilton's there, but they had some good ones. Now, was I able to walk away from that shelf without checking anything out? Of course not:

The Fuel Injection book is copyright 1981! The first microprocessors really capable of running an ECU were still top-of-the-line expensive ICs. Mmmm. Analog computers.

The Jeep Universal Chilton is from 1973! It barely covers those up-start models with AMC engines!

The sheetmetal handbook is from 1989, and may actually be useful as well as entertaining.

tempesjo

PostMon Nov 05, 2012 2:56 pm

I work near a busy intersection, and every once in a while I see some interesting vehicles from my window. I finally brought a camera to work, and I'll start with one of the hybrid city buses.

clampants

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Caught this Mercury Comet (with skeleton riding shotgun)...

...and a few days ago, this lovely Lincoln Town Car Presidential/Signature Series (both, honestly)...

Volvo_Nut

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 7:11 am

Buick Bubble Roadmaster
Bordello Burgundy interior, vinyl woodgrain, rear seats were folded down with two old tires floating around in there. One of the rear windows was duct taped in, but not much rust.

salguod

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 11:00 am

Saw an 80s VW pickup on the highway a couple of days ago. Couldn't get a picture, but it looked like it was a working truck and not a toy of some automotive hipster.

Dean Bigglesworth

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 5:59 am

On my way to work i saw a JDM Toyota Granvia.. I didn't see the plate since from a distance i thought it was just another Hiace van and only noticed it was a Granvia when i passed it in the opposite direction. Looked exactly like the one in this ad, except for the wheels but winter tires are mandatory this time of the year so it might have just had winter tires on. http://www.nettiauto.com/toyota/granvia/4830312

Some other rarely seen cars i spotted on my 15 minute commute was a S2000 and a mk2 Mazda 3 MPS. Might not be that rare on the other side of the pond, but around here even a GTI is rare thanks to silly CO2 based taxes which drive the prices way up.. Finland has the oldest average age of cars in Europe, at 11,6 years. The government keeps changing the car taxes every few years to promote "green cars" and expect that cheaper eco-cars will drive up sales volume and tax income since the volume increases, but it hasnt happened. Tax revenue is expected to be much lower, so they will probably "fix" the tax model again in a few years. I'm ranting again...

NoKetchup

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 7:07 pm

ok someone please help me ID this. (and yes sorry for the crappy pic, this was as close as I could get).
It looked so familiar but something about the headlights (early 911ish that jutted out with a heavy slant hood) just drew me for a blank.

and heres the worst part about it, I snapped this sunday thinking I've never seen this car in the flesh before.... and this morning I saw the identical car in yellow on my way to work. I expect to see cool stuff on the road when its 70 in november but not the next day when it drops to the standard 38 high.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Froggmann

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Looks like an MG Midget:

Volvo_Nut

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Is it a real one? I dunno.
PreviousNext

Return to The Driveway