It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 pm

HAM Radio?

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Batshitbox

HAM Radio?

PostFri Sep 21, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm developing a HAM Radio hobby. As a shot in the dark I thought some other Hoons might be HAMs as well. Right now I'm limited to a GMRS license (WQPY492), but aim to get my HAM Technician license soon. In San Francisco the SFFD runs a program called NERT (Neighborhood Emergency Response Team http://www.sf-fire.org/index.aspx?page=859) that trains up and licenses HAM operators for emergency response.

HAM radio is all about talking to people, random people in random places that share a common interest, just like Hooniverse!

Today I showed up on a hill to watch the Space Shuttle fly by, and started talking to the random person next to me. I mentioned hearing some HAM operators on my 5 watt handheld (BaoFeng UV-5R) tracking the shuttle as it moved around Northern California. She said she hadn't thought to bring her HAM radio and I was like, "What, you're a HAM operator?" (and a girl to boot!). As it turned out, she got more information about the Shuttle out of her Twitter feed than I did over the repeater network, but it was still a kick to see the two systems in action. And the Endeavour, that was a kick to see, too.

WQPY492 for a demonstration?
Hot things burn!

Return to The Driveway