It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:13 am

Anybody else here ride?

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Bradley Brownell

Re: Anybody else here ride?

PostSun Mar 04, 2012 10:57 am

Project MB5 is entering it's preliminary re-assembly stage, and should be rideable next weekend. We'll see.

I miss riding it. I rode it every day for a year, and it's been parked for a few months already (Ohio winters aren't very conducive for moto...)

failboat

PostMon Mar 05, 2012 12:28 pm

I am pretty eager to get licensed. The local community college loans out their parking lot to a group that holds classes to get certified on the weekends. Their rates are way more competitive than some other places I checked. I think I need to at least acquire some gear first.

The idea of having a very fuel efficient bike around for occasional commuting duty is appealing. I drive 90 miles a day so that would save a chunk of change.

fodder650

PostTue Mar 06, 2012 6:07 am

Maymar -
You might find a 250 for the same price and it would give you a bit more usage

Failboat -
The only thing I needed for my MSF class (back in 98) was long sleeves. Either a shirt or jacket. Helmets were provided although it was encouraged that you brought your own

Maymar

PostTue Mar 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Fodder, unfortunately there just aren't that many Ninja 250s around, the CBR250R is too new to be cheap, and I have no interest in a 250 cruiser. Plus, the Canadian market is sort of flooded with Honda's 125s - they brought them out to massive demand in '07, and send over way too many in '08 to compensate. For a while, I believe you could pick up a brand new '08 (as late as a year or two ago) for two grand. So, it's by far one of the cheapest common bikes on the market, and it is cheap enough on insurance (compared to a 250) to justify it. And I can confirm, they will top 60mph, although it's strained.

fodder650

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 5:03 am

Maymar -

Really you have problems finding a new Ninja 250? Back when i was looking at new bikes in 07 each dealer had a couple new ones but that was 4 years ago

failboat

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 5:42 am

I was also looking pretty closely at 125's (online) and comparing, reading reviews. The big appeal was fuel mileage, the big downfall was top speed. Considering my commute, its looking like a 125 would not be adequate.

I think a 250 would be perfect for my wants/needs. I get that it wont be a rocket ship, but I've always been in the "more fun to drive a slow thing fast, than a fast thing slow" camp, and I dont have an addiction to insane speed.

Maymar

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 am

fodder650 wrote:Maymar -

Really you have problems finding a new Ninja 250? Back when i was looking at new bikes in 07 each dealer had a couple new ones but that was 4 years ago

It's more problems finding a cheap Ninja - there are more than enough out there because they've been around for so long, but most are still priced around $4000, and almost none have fallen below $3000.

With the 125, there's a healthy supply of them in reasonable shape for two grand, I know I can put up with it for a year or two until my insurance company starts trusting me, and I know it'll still fetch close enough to what I paid for it (if I don't just pass it along to my fiancee or mom, who've both expressed interest in riding).

Rust_MyEnemy

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm very, very unhappy right now.

I bought this house, like. When I went to view there was a '99 Honda NSR50 in the back yard. "Nice bike" said I, to the 17 yr old owner. "Doesn't work" said he, and I clocked the flat tyres and distantly expired tax disc.

I thought nothing more of it until we collected the keys from the estate agent at the end of last month. When we got to the house, the driveway was piled up with old filthy mattresses, broken furniture and general shat, and a '99 Honda NSR50, with flat tyres and no tax. Unlocked, unsecured, left out with the rubbish. On my land. "I'm having that" was my first train of thought, accompanied by a hint of "what if the guy's coming to collect it, forgot to lock it and it gets stolen?". Rather than allow thiving pikey scum to spirit it away during the night I pounced on it and wheeled it into the shed. If the owner meant to collect it surely he'd have locked it or at the very least left a note. So I left it in the shed where it would become an additional project when the tedium of redecorating / rekitchening has blown over.

On monday, having heard nothing from the owner, I thought I would run an HPI (vehicle history) check on it to gauge my chances of arranging a V5 so I could legally take ownership. I "mistyped" the registration of a customers part-exchange at work, thus achieving a free HPI check totally by accident. There on the screen, in a huge red box shone the terrifying alert:-

STOLEN.

Shit, thought I. That's obviously the reason the guy stuck it on the driveway unlocked; because it was nicked. He was moving out so had a great chance of washing his hands of a hot bike. But then I checked out the date it was reported stolen:- the day I picked up the keys. Bollocks.

It would appear that, in attempting to prevent thieving pikey scum from nicking it, I had inadvertantly nicked it myself. Still strikes me a little odd that the guy should leave it unsecured on my driveway and then report it as stolen rather than asking me if I'd seen it.

I've phoned the estate agent (who has contacted the vendor- I had no forwarding address or contact details) and she's collecting it on thursday morning. I'll put a note on it with my number.... just in case he does want rid. I'd quite like a cheeky little 49cc Honda race-rep...

Batshitbox

PostFri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 pm

It's always worthwhile to search the forum for a thread before creating another one along the same lines.

I was going to create a whole new thread with the lame name of 'two wheels good', but I think I'll promote this one.

Only because recently I got my old Laverda running again, and am ignoring the Postal Service Scout 80 until I get the Italian stallion back to daily ride condition.

Summertime is here! Post all the motorcycles! Keep me focused on the last and most powerful air cooled three cylinder four stroke manufactured in a social democracy OF ALL TIME!!!!!

Just recently a girl came to visit on one of those fancy new liquid cooled jobs, and I ain't talking about no Suzuki water buffalo. Here's the father-and-son day photo just off the back bumper (mounts) of the Scout.

Hot things burn!

kogashiwa

PostFri Jun 22, 2012 3:52 pm

My FZ1. Started out as the normal half-faired version, converted it to Japanese/Euro spec naked version over the last winter.

It's honestly too much bike for me, much as I love it. KTM is supposedly going to be making a 350 single sportbike soonish. Will be tempted to trade.
LeftofLucky wrote:If VTEC stickers add five horsepower, what do Hooniverse stickers do?

Han_Solex wrote:They add tetanus.

Maymar

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 8:18 pm

I got a bike! '85 Rebel 250, which I've put about 70km on since getting it on the road yesterday. Not exactly what I might've picked for myself, but my in-laws had it sitting around and gave it to me (free is a great reason to choose something). Easy enough to ride, although I'm still getting used to a carbed engine, and working the choke. Even with my negligible inseam, it's a little cramped for longer rides, although I'd like to swap the seat out eventually anyhow (plus, as a newbie rider, I'm not exactly going the Long Way Round any time soon).
Previous

Return to The Driveway