It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:51 am

This tool looks pretty fun

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Alcology

This tool looks pretty fun

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Found through boingboing.net and available on amazon:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0070VDJ14/ref=nosim/cooltoolsbb-20
Looks pretty good, but I don't know if these twists require constant maintenance as opposed to a pipe-clamp. They mention it's just as strong, but not the length of time.

jeep_jeff

Re: This tool looks pretty fun

PostTue Feb 05, 2013 5:06 pm

It looks like once you do the final bend-the-wire-back step (with either the single or the double wrap technique), it won't slip. The kink in the wire should stay where it is (more so with larger diameter wire), rather than creep over time.

That said, I did not know about this tool before I read this post. Just given my experience with wire and what-have-you, I think it will hold.

And, Do. Want.

pj134

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 7:55 am

It's unique, I just don't see how it's better/faster/stronger than a worm clamp...

jeep_jeff

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 pm

pj134 wrote:It's unique, I just don't see how it's better/faster/stronger than a worm clamp...

I've run into worm clamps with manufacturing defects, where when you get not-enough-tension on it, it pops back a couple threads and loosens up. This is really annoying when it's on the bottom tube to your radiator. The tensioning screw on this is (presumably) even better made than the best worm clamps, and will thus never do this. I like the look of this thing. It seems to combine the advantages of spring clamps and worm clamps.

Alcology

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm

It's cheaper over many uses is it's benefit. Especially if you constantly have to adjust everything or do stuff out and about with the minimum of equipment. I like it for the clean look, but safety first.

jibduh

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 am

I'd seen this on http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/9735 and thought it looked pretty nifty, it does solve the problem of having to keep piles of different sized hose clamps around And can apply just as much torque (til the wire fails). And I guess that several wraps would be just as strong, as long as the right wire is used and you don't cut through the hose.

I might try cobbling one together to see how much I like the concept in action.
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

jeep_jeff

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Mine just came in the mail. It took this long before I needed to deal with hose clamps again. I spritzed it with some T-9 spray lubricant and then wrapped a practice clamp around a random bit of dowel. Worked great. I've got some rear end maintenance which means undoing the clamp on my drive shaft boot, and it looks like the stupid worm gear clamps on my cooling system are leaking a little bit, so I'm going to replace most of those as well.

Should be fun. I'll report back. The engine side of the bottom hose is stuffed up under the A/C compressor (I really just need to remove it), so it might be a little difficult to get to. But all the others should be straight forward.

Alcology

PostMon Jan 06, 2014 10:22 am

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing it!

Return to The Driveway