It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 pm

The "I drove a thing" topic.

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Devin

The "I drove a thing" topic.

PostThu Feb 07, 2013 12:29 pm

For when you drive things and feel like saying something.

I drove a Chevrolet Trax!

Is it the most exciting thing in the world? No, but it's okay. I even kind of liked it, though I'd probably have to drive it longer to decide if I actually like it. Bullet points:

-It looks really weird in pictures but in person it's not too bad, kind of chunky.
-Lots of little cubbies and whatnot, if you're into that.
-Has decent get up and go, but not going to set anyone's loins ablaze. Actually has a manual available, but that wasn't at my local dealer.
-Visibility seems better than my Matrix, so that's a plus.
-I'm not entirely sure I like GM's new big touchscreen radio. Overall it seems like it'd be a bit annoying to drive at night.
-Like everything GM makes, it feels heavy, but it didn't actually bother me that much. Possibly because I drive a Matrix, which also feels heavy.
-I like how everyone's doing the truck towing mirror thing now, they're better integrated here than on Fords.
-Cargo area seems really narrow, but it actually looks like it has a lot of space.

Admittedly I'm in magpie mode at the moment and I'm fascinated by new stuff, even though I shouldn't be. I also don't quite know why I'm so fascinated by the Trax but I am.

Hopefully the next person to drive a thing drives an exciting thing rather than a Canada exclusive quasi-SUV.

EDIT: No sense replying to myself, so here's a second entry, which doesn't have anything to do with driving.

I sat in a Focus ST.

I am too fat to drive the Focus ST

:(

Devin

Re: The "I drove a thing" topic.

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Screw it, I will reply to myself, take that decorum.

2013 Kia Rio 5-door

Why don't you drive something cool, Devin?

Why don't YOU drive something cool? I made this topic for everyone! Anyway, a subcompact Kia, in bullet points.

-Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.
-Brakes are strangely graceless. I mean, I was driving in big boots but they were super grabby and annoying at low speeds.
-Back window distorts the view making everyone look low and wide. Made a tow truck have the proportions of a Countach.
-It does have plenty of room, I'll give it that. It's also nicely styled, but...
...SO BOUNCY! It's like driving an old school tractor.

Then I got into my Matrix and was thankful to be in a much better car. Sorry tiny Kia.

Maymar

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 am

I'm sort of disappointed the Kia's underwhelming - it's not a bad looking little thing with the right options, and it's not priced bad. I suppose I'll hypothetically stick with the Mazda2 or Fiat 500 still. Not much interest in the Trax though - I don't doubt it's not bad, I just can't think of a reason to buy one over a Sonic.

Sadly, I don't think I'll have much to contribute though - I drive about 150 cars a week, but except for my own, never over 30kph.

Dean Bigglesworth

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 am

Nothing really interesting in a while... So i'll just list the best and worst cars I've driven in the last year or so.

Best: BMW 335i Sport(F30).
-plenty fast enough
-sounds good
-looks good
-perhaps most importantly, it made me smile(and occasionally drive) like a madman. More fun than 650i, 550i, or M550d(though this one is fun in an absurd, 130hp/liter rev-happy diesel kind of way)

Worst: Kia Venga 1.6 auto
Not a bad car, just not very good. It does everything the competition does, just not as well. The most annoying thing was the door arm rest, my elbow was 10cm above it so it's useless, and the window is high enough so that i would have keep my armpointing upwards so that's useless too.
The new Kia Optima and Ce'e'e'ed are pretty nice though, they just have to get the powertrain and chassis sorted and they would actually be excellent cars.

Special mention for the most uncomfortable car: MINI Roadster S. Driving a bag of rocks down an escalator is more comfortable. Might be fun on a newly paved road or on a track, but on local back-roads it just crashes, bangs and hops and skips. It really is like a go-kart, in the "i have no suspension and my back just broke" kind of way. The power is ok but it doesn't sound very good, either.

Devin

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 pm

For reasons illustrated elsewhere, I'm borrowing a '95 Mercury Sable from a coworker. As a nearly 20 year old sedan it's got its issues - the driver's door doesn't unlock with a key, I don't have the remote, for one - but it's otherwise actually not bad. So here are some other things!

-Surprisingly cramped actually. I mean, I'm coming from a compact Toyota, but I'm feeling a distinct lack of head and legroom in this mid-size sedan. I'm not sure what's going on there.
-On the other hand, visibility is excellent. There are basically no blind spots, it's a pretty big departure from something made recently. I'm going to now demand every car designer drive a '95 Sable with someone pushily pointing out how easy it is to see everything.
-When did Fords stop having that extremely distinct steering groan? It used to be how I could tell my dad got home at night, and now I hear it faintly on this thing. I'm sure it means something is wearing out, but I'm very nostalgic.
-I hate column shifts, sorry.

zsm

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Devin does that Sable have that neato fold-out compartment in the center part of the front faux-bench seat? What's up with your MatViberix?
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Devin

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 4:25 pm

zsm wrote:Devin does that Sable have that neato fold-out compartment in the center part of the front faux-bench seat? What's up with your MatViberix?

Check the "I am a #@$@# idiot" post, it's a sad tale of difficult to see fire hydrants and a slightly too tight turn.

I actually haven't checked for any fold out compartments, I'll check next time I go somewhere.

drshimmies

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 pm

I drove a 72 Jimmy on the highway and thought I was going to die. To go straight you had to:
1) turn steering wheel all the way to the right
2) turn steering wheel all the way to the left
3) repeat from step 1

Greg

PostTue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 pm

On a recent pilgrimage to Detroit with my father we rented a 2013 Mustang convertible. Since it was below freezing and most of Lake Erie was frozen, we got it for the price of a compact.

It was my first time ever driving a Mustang, and even though it was a V6 automatic that was probably abused to hell, I loved it. Cruising around Dearborn it felt quite nice and it definitely "fit in" going past the Rouge factory and all the Ford R&D buildings, but those blind spots were hard to get used to and annoying.

On the highway, however, is where I really fell in love with it. The long, the gauges (at night), and the new V6's power made it more of a highway missile than anything else I've ever driven. I could have sat there for miles in that seat, driving till I hit the ocean, and then going back. And for a convertible, 70+ mph was fairly quiet.

And it will forever be known as the car that I drove to Ford World HQ and Henry Ford's Fair Lane Estate.

2013 Ford Mustang Convertible at Henry Ford's Fair Lane estate by gregthestig, on Flickr
Hooniverse News Editor

pj134

PostWed Mar 27, 2013 9:12 am

Greg, if you ever get the chance to drive the aughts iteration of the GTO on a highway, do not pass it up. It is the best highway cruiser I've ever been it, you can just pound out mile after mile at whatever speed you want and you will never hear a complaint from it. It's wonderful.

Greg

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 pm

That's one of the many cars I have on my "drive this thing right naaoo!!1!" list. I was indifferent about it when it first came out but over the years I've grown to like it a lot. Maybe one day...
Hooniverse News Editor

Maymar

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 5:51 am

I didn't just drive a thing, I drove all the things.

This past weekend, I had the chance to drive the new Mazda6, and slightly more excitingly, one of the few European-spec diesel 6s that Mazda Canada brought over. I mean, I admittedly have a slightly anti-diesel bias, between being tired of the internet telling me it's the best thing ever, and beardy old men tying up the middle lane doing about 105km/h. And I occasionally find Mazdas slightly cheap, like Mitsubishis we decided it was okay to like. So, you know, totally impartial!
Along with areas to demonstrate the new 6's available blind spot monitoring and collision avoidance, Mazda had set up two courses. The first was a slower course, short straights with tight 180 degree corners to demonstrate turning radius, with a series of bumps towards the end to test NVH and ride. The second course was faster and more performance-oriented, with a slalom leading into a bus stop followed by a sweeping decreasing radius turn. Gas and diesel 6s were available on both courses, while an Accord and Fusion were available on the slow course, and a Passat and Optima were on the faster course.
Just by virtue of having the shortest line, I started off in the Accord, a Touring with the I4 and CVT. I have absolutely no qualms with the rubber band gearbox, especially in a parking lot course where virtually nothing gets out of second gear anyhow. Still, the Accord feels slightly leisurely (this could be my fault too, for being a little too timid with my first car of the day). But at the first bend, it's typical Honda – light, predictable, good. Or, well, it's good in the wider bends – at the second turn (the tighest of the three), I was faced with the decision of backing up or taking our a pylon and earning the ire of the course marshall. Virtually everyone fell victim to the Accord's large turning circle. On the bright side, the Accord absorbed the bumps like it was riding on four rolls of Brawny.
Next up was a Fusion with the 2.0L Ecoboost. I wish I could say more about this, but it honestly didn't stick with me much. The ride was noticably harsher than the Accord, handling was competent, power was fine, but I'm not sure the course really let the Fusion show off its strengths.
I followed this up with the whole reason I was there, a 6 using the Skyactiv-D engine. I was completely surprised by it. Slow, smelly, rattling and front-heavy – it's absolutely none of these things. It's still torquey, and it sounds peculiar, but like VW I5 peculiar. It's athletic, more nicely finished inside than I'm used to, and it even revs relatively quickly. The ride isn't phenominal, but it's a pretty solid package.
That said, I'd probably buy a gas-powered 6 if I was spending my own money. It doesn't have the thrust of the diesel car, but I'm wagering it's enough cheaper, and guaranteed enough to have the manual. Plus, even if the diesel isn't burdened with a one-tonne flywheel, the gas engine is still more willing to rev.
The real disappointment of the day was the Kia Optima. I mean, if nothing else, it's the best looking car – the VW and Honda are handsome in their square-jawed way, the Ford has the whole Jag/Aston thing going for it (even if in reality, it's much less dramatic than its inspirations), and the Mazda looks better in person than the pictures can do justice (it still looks fine in pictures, just certain details are more captivating in the flesh). But the Optima looks fantastic. I know Peter Schreyer was the lead stylist on it, which is more than I can say than just about any mass-market product. And 274hp where some of the competition is making do with 100hp less in spite of similar price tags and equipment should make for a fantastic package. But really, the Kia feels slightly cruder, and unhappy to be driven hard, even if it's capable. I will concede, part of the problem might just be that the Optima has so much more power than the rest of the cars, and made overdriving its comfort zone that much easier (I wasn't exactly paying attention to my speed, so I can't say if everything was driven around the same speed). For $22k with the manual, I might be interested, but at $33k, it's the spiritual successor to the Pontiac Grand Prix.
I know quite a few pixels have been spilled over the North Americafying of the Jetta and Passat, , and it might be true, but they're still some of the most Teutonic products out there. Considering the Passat weighs just 3300lbs, it feels the most solid and hefty, and generally the biggest (thanfully, less ponderous than I remember, although admittedly last time, it was a loaded V6 driven directly after a GLI). Still, the Passat is comfortable moving – it's not eager, but it's competent, it knows its way around a corner, and it rides smoothly. A friend of mine got to partake as well, and found the VW to be the slowest, although it seemed rather adequate with the shifter in S. The I5 is a really unsual engine, but it works well enough.
Ultimately, if I were shopping for a mid-sized sedan, the Honda dealer would be my first stop. The Accord might be the safe, easy choice, but it's not without good reason – it's a known quantity, we know it should be reliable, econonomical, and retail huge amounts of its value, but it's also worth driving every day. I like the 6 though – I have no idea if the diesel will make fiscal sense, or if it's just the engine I recommend to my mother-in-law who normally wouldn't drive anything less than a V6, even if it never sees more than 3000rpm. I also don't know if the 6 will disintigrate into a pile of rust right around the time the warranty runs out, like every Protege5 ever, and like a disturbing number of early 3s. But at the very least, Mazda's Zoom Zoom hype isn't hype.

And also, lameass BlackBerry pictures!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8491873@N0 ... 265444862/
Next

Return to The Driveway